Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

High School Schedule Question

rakuendrowningrakuendrowning Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
I'm entering my senior year, and my schedule looks like this:
AP Stat
AP Physics
AP Lit
AP Gov
Japanese IV

However, I'm thinking about dropping Gov and/or Lit and taking easier classes for the following reasons:
I hate government
I hate reading
Lots of work
Want to focus on afterschool activities
Could take Creative Writing instead of Lit (I want to be a screenwriting major.)
I have 5.5 Social Studies credits. (Need 4) AP Gov makes it 6.5 (although US Gov is required)
I have 3.5 English credits (Need 4)
I've already taken AP Calc, Ap Lang, Ap Econ, and AP Psych last year, so I've done the overload already (at least an overload at my school)

So should I drop one or both or none? Opinions? How much would it hurt my chances at USC? What about USC Film school screenwriting?
Post edited by rakuendrowning on

Replies to: High School Schedule Question

• jersey2calijersey2cali Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    not enough AP classes...you are gonna be really stressed your senior year
  • cc411cc411 Registered User Posts: 1,724 Senior Member
    Our private counselor told my son it is important to show 5 strong core classes to stay competitive. Colleges want to see a strong schedule senior year because it is very easy to slack off senior year and they don't want students who will do that. A better alternative is to take the class then possibly drop it mid-year. You just have to call USC before you do that and tell an adcom. Most of the time, it is ok. My s#1 dropped Spanish 4 midyear, my d dropped AP Physics mid-year.
This discussion has been closed.