Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MEAN interviewers!

fezeatspezfezeatspez Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
I was just interviewed for a local alum scholarship and the people who interviewed me were so mean! I was shocked!

I got into Dartmouth, so one of them asked me sternly, "Why USC over Dartmouth?" I can see the legitimacy of that question but he asked me so harshly...SORRY I got into Dartmouth..it's not my fault that they accepted me (well, except for making good grades and ****..)

Another asked me what was the best prank I have pulled. I have never pulled a prank.

Prolly sound like a whiny prat but omg I was just so shocked. I had an interview earlier this month at the alumni house and the people there were SO NICE. They were chatting with me, giving me cookies and all this stuff. Both of my parents went to USC so I'm used to friendly Trojans--but these ones weren't!
Post edited by fezeatspez on

Replies to: MEAN interviewers!

• intelliotintelliot Registered User Posts: 765 Member
    Hey, everyone is different. Beware of generalizations - just because one person appears to mean, doesn't mean everyone there is. I guess you can see how diverse USC is from the contrast between the different alumni :)
  • norweejunwoodnorweejunwood Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    in some industries, apparently the "stress interview" seems to be popular or the current fad. instead of a touchy-feely get to know ya chat with some questions tossed in, the rule of thumb is to be polar opposite, use gruff language, take an unfriendly interrogative tack, and beat the interviewee like a bass drum.

that may in fact work in some industries but if it's making the rounds it's possible university interviewers hear or read about it and try to apply it in their own sessions. they may in fact get off on the stress they induce and feel like they get better results than the feel-good interview. problem is that they don't get any training in its use, if there is such a thing.

this thing probably originated from some a**hole who likes to make people squirm and it got the copycat treatment from the underlings and spread like a virus. would think the entertainment industry probably likes it because many of those folks are indeed a**holes. just kidding, heh heh.

anyway, it could just be a trend that certain interviewers are using. might be worth being aware of. good luck to all.
  • ebayispayingforcollegeebayispayingforcollege Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    Fez - It really dosn't sound mean to me, in fact the first question sounds typical of any job interview I ever went to - you just got a taste early. The interviewer with a poker face always asks,
    "Why our company over blah-blah"
    As far as the 2nd question, I would venture it was to judge your sense of humor. You could have said, "I leave the pranks to an expert like Ashton Kutcher" if you don't do them. And if you did play a fun prank on someone, even an April fools joke, you could shown your fun side.
    My friend was an alumni interviewer for an ivy. Her biggest complaint to me was that she interviewed so many ultra serious kids with high grades, that it was hard trying to get out their personality .
    Don't read too much into it. I am sure you will get what you are applying for. Good luck.
  • jobu1979jobu1979 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Hi ebay, can you explain how ebay is paying?
  • ebayispayingforcollegeebayispayingforcollege Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    Jobu - It means all the money I made on ebay (not much) goes to paying for my sons education.
This discussion has been closed.