right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Obsessed

Replies to: Obsessed

• dreamupsided0wndreamupsided0wn 1419 replies86 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    If you can't decide between Production and Critical Studies, I'd say go for Critical Studies. Both programs allow you to take the same classes, and Critical Studies takes 25 more people than Production. But it's all up to you.
    · Reply · Share
  • EiffelEiffel 1191 replies179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    They allow you to take the same classes? You mean, some of the same classes as electives? Or...? (Sorry, this is all a bit confusing to me! :P)
    · Reply · Share
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student 4999 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,046 Senior Member
    Production and Critical Studies share most of the classes together. Similar courses are highlighted in bold

USC Catalogue: The Schools: USC School of Cinematic Arts: Film and Television Production
    Course Requirements Units
    CTCS 190 Introduction to Cinema 4
    CTCS 200 History of the International Cinema I 4
    CTCS 201 History of the International Cinema II 4
    CTPR 241 Fundamentals of Cinema Technique (taken concurrently with CTPR 242, CTPR 290, CTWR 413) 2
    CTPR 242 Fundamentals of Cinematic Sound 2
    CTPR 290 Cinematic Communication (taken concurrently with CTPR 241, CTPR 242, CTWR 413) 4
    CTPR 310* Intermediate Film Production (taken after CTPR 241, CTPR 242, CTPR 290, CTWR 413 and concurrently with CTPR 376) 4
    CTPR 376* Intermediate Cinematography (taken after CTPR 241, CTPR 242, CTPR 290, CTWR 413 and concurrently with CTPR 310) 4
    CTWR 413 Writing the Short Script I (taken concurrently with CTPR 241, CTPR 242, CTPR 290) 2
    CTWR 414 The Screenplay 2
    *Note that enrollment in CTPR 310/CTPR 376 requires meeting specific guidelines.

and a choice of:
    CTPR 371 Directing for Television, or
    CTPR 475 Directing: Mise-en-Scene (Prerequisite: CTPR 310 and CTPR 376) 4

One of the following courses is required:
    CTCS 367 Global Television and Media 4
    CTCS 392 History of the American Film, 1925-1950 4
    CTCS 393 History of the American Film, 1946-1975 4
    CTCS 394 History of the American Film, 1977-Present 4
    CTCS 400 Non-Fiction Film and Television 4
    CTCS 402 Practicum in Film/ Television Criticism 4
    CTCS 403 Studies in National and Regional Media 4
    CTCS 404 Television Criticism and Theory 4
    CTCS 406 History of American Television 4
    CTCS 407 African American Cinema 4
    CTCS 409 Censorship in Cinema 4
    CTCS 411 Film, Television and Cultural Studies 4
    CTCS 412 Gender, Sexuality and Media 4
    CTCS 414 Chicana/o Cinema 4
    CTCS 464 Film and/or Television Genres 4
    CTCS 469 Film and/or Television Style Analysis 4
    CTCS 478 Culture, Technology and Communications 4

One of the following courses is required subsequent to completing CTPR 310/376:
    CTAN 448 Introduction to Film Graphics–Animation 4
    CTPR 480 Production Workshop I (narrative or documentary or video) 4
    CTPR 484 Advanced Multi-Camera Television Workshop 4
    CTPR 486 Single Camera Television Dramatic Series 4

USC Catalogue: The Schools: USC School of Cinematic Arts: Critical Studies

Required Courses units
    CTCS 190 Introduction to Cinema 4
    CTCS 191 Introduction to Television and Video 4
    CTCS 192 Race, Class and Gender in American Film 4
    CTCS 200 History of the International Cinema I 4
    CTCS 201 History of the International Cinema II 4
    CTCS 473 Film Theories 4
    CTPR 241 Fundamentals of Cinema Technique (taken concurrently with CTPR 290) 2
    CTPR 290 Cinematic Communication (taken concurrently with CTPR 241) 4

One course from the following:
    CTCS 392 History of the American Film, 1925-1950 4
    CTCS 393 History of the American Film, 1946-1975 4
    CTCS 394 History of the American Film, 1977-present 4

Four courses from the following:
    CTCS 367 Global Television and Media 4
    CTCS 400 Non-Fiction Film and Television 4
    CTCS 402 Practicum in Film/ Television Criticism 4
    CTCS 403 Studies in National and Regional Media 4
    CTCS 404 Television Criticism and Theory 4
    CTCS 406 History of American Television 4
    CTCS 407 African-American Cinema 4
    CTCS 409 Censorship in Cinema 4
    CTCS 411 Film, Television and Cultural Studies 4
    CTCS 412 Gender, Sexuality and Media 4
    CTCS 414 Chicana/o Cinema 4
    CTCS 464 Film and/or Television Genres 4
    CTCS 469 Film and/or Television Style Analysis 4
    CTCS 478 Culture, Technology and Communications 4
    CTCS 494 Advanced Critical Studies Seminar 4
    CTCS 495* Honors Seminar 4
    · Reply · Share
  • EiffelEiffel 1191 replies179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    Oh, okay, that makes it nice and clear; thanks! Now I just need to make sure the classes I'd forfeit in Production are ones I could do without. :P
    · Reply · Share
  • Alex7592Alex7592 747 replies210 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 957 Member
    I'm so obsessed!

How am I ever going to pay for it?!
    · Reply · Share
  • madeforuscmadeforusc 69 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Thanks guys! This is awesome! At least now I know I'm not doing too much work for nothing! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
    · Reply · Share
    I second that: GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

And Alex, don't you have a good chance at an academic scholarship? If not, do you have actual financial need?
    · Reply · Share
  • marmar16marmar16 185 replies43 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Wow, did I write this post? I'm absolutely OBSESSED with USC. A vision of myself opening the letter while the Fight Song plays in the background is a daily occurrence for me. If I don't get in, I'll be devastated.
    · Reply · Share
  • FauxNomFauxNom 1185 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Going back to the SCA hijacking of this thread (sorry) I wanted to let Eiffel know that there are lots of other classes available to crit studies majors that do not show up on the list of major requirements that Columbia provided. My son - whose main interest is cinematography - has taken things like Special Effects (fun class where you get to blow up models and such) and Motion Picture Camera. The classes that only production majors get to take include the sequence that culminates in a final film during senior year. Having seen how much time and money those things take, my son has decided he's happy to stick with crit studies, and help the production majors out with their films. He doesn't want to be a director, so he's fine with missing out on that opportunity. So ends the era of pondering whether to apply to switch over to Production.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks so much, FauxNom! I do want to be a director, though. However, writing and directing are the two areas of film that I really want to get into. I enjoy doing cinematography and think I would find editing, producing, et cetera fun (I'd like to dabble in these sometime if I make it into the industry), but I think I could do without taking all the classes in them. Or I could even take a few classes in them, according to you, right?

Also, do you happen to know if those classes (any relating to production) are available to Screenwriting majors? That is the major I most want, but I do want to be able to take a variety of film classes if that's possible.

Thanks again for any info, and a big congrats to your son in getting into SCA! :D
    · Reply · Share
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student 4999 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,046 Senior Member
    From another website for film students, it was suggested not to put on the USC application that you want to be director. I read that you will be an easy target for rejection.
    · Reply · Share
    You mean on the main application, right?

It seems strange though, since USC will know what major you're applying to, and people will usually talk about their majors in their short answer about their educational goals. So if someone was applying to Production and said they wanted to be a director, it seems like it would make sense...:-/
    · Reply · Share
    Here is the link where I read that from a student that was accepted to USC Critical Studies but not Production.

http://forums.studentfilms.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5486066451/m/1221010544/p/3

Here is his exact quote
    Yeah, I think I stressed too much in my essays how I want to be a director. I've heard they don't like that.

Does anyone know what the school looks at with transfers? It's at the end of sophmore year (for production). Do they look at just college grades, or do they go all the way back to high school?

I think he eventually was accepted to Production after applying 3 consecutive semesters. Very persistent!
    · Reply · Share
  • musicalstudentmusicalstudent 112 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    The best piece of advice is apply to 2 majors! I auditioned for the BFA Acting major (in the School of Theatre) but listed BA Theatre with Acting Emphasis as my second choice major. I was admitted into the latter and am actually far happier that I was seeing as everyone here hates the BFAs, they're annoying.
    · Reply · Share
    ^Why do you say the BFA's are annoying? (Seeing as I'm applying first-choice to Screenwriting, I'd like to know! :))
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity