Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for a Visit

ViggyRamViggyRam - Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
Hi all. I'm visiting over my Spring Break, which is the exact same as UT's actually (I'm OOS). So, I booked a campus tour for Admitted Students, but I saw that the Natural Science Information Session (it's an hour long from 9:00am to 10:00am) is full all throughout Spring Break. How big of a deal is this?

My family is flying down to UT and staying in a hotel for 4 nights I believe, so it is going to be an expensive trip and I want to absorb everything there is about UT. So, I'm looking for advice on what I should do on a visit and the 'must see' or 'must do' items.

To Do:
-Tour (great way for me to see if I can picture myself at UT in the fall and if I won't be overwhelmed by the campus)
-I want to talk to an academic adviser about the resources and other things that there are at UT for a 'premed' but I don't know if these offices are open during Spring Break. Are they?
-I will definitely go around the city and down 'The Drag' to get some great food, UT apparel, and get used to the city
-I wanted to see if I could get tickets for a basketball game but all I see on the 14th is 'Longhorn Sportsline with Rick Barnes'. What is that? I also see 'Championship' above that on the schedule...is the Big 12 championship starting very soon or something? (edit: before anyone jumps on me, I know that Rick Barnes is the coach, but what exactly is this event?)
TexasSports.com - Official website of University of Texas Athletics - Texas Longhorns
-By chance, are there any classes going on during Spring Break? I'd like to sit in on a class.

Thanks! Looking for more things to do and info. on whether I can indeed talk to an academic adviser over Spring Break + sit in on a class.
Post edited by ViggyRam on

Replies to: Checklist for a Visit

• givingsgivings Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    I don't see any type of housing visit on your list. You might want to check on the availability of dorm tours. I know San Jac offers them on a schedule and I can't remember which other dorms offer tours (not sure about the Spring Break schedule at all). Just to get a point of comparison, you might want to check out some of the private dorms around campus.

We found that finding housing that your happy with at UT is important to having a successful first year.
  • collegeshoppingcollegeshopping Registered User Posts: 1,937 Senior Member
    I didn't see "buy a cupcake from 'Hey Cupcake'"

Very...very...important
  • ViggyRamViggyRam - Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    @givings, I totally forgot to put that on my list. That is something I definitely want to do.
    @collegeshopping, is that sarcasm or are you being serious? lol, because I will go buy a cupcake if they're that good! :)

So, does anyone know if I can talk to academic advisors over Spring Break and if there are any classes running at all?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,002 Super Moderator
    --Barton Springs
    --Tex Mex food (ask for suggestions from the locals)
    --Mount Bonnell (incredible views - you won't think all of Texas is flat anymore!)
    --Schlotzsky's (if you don't have them in your area)
    --Antone's (great live music, and you don't have to be 21 to get in)

I'm listing all the things I miss about Austin!

The campus will be very quiet when you're there, so it might be hard to judge what it's really like. Hmm, my dad is a prof and he never stayed around campus during Spring Break. I think most people take off.
  • collegeshoppingcollegeshopping Registered User Posts: 1,937 Senior Member
    I am dead serious! Really. They are worth the trip. And a show at Ester's Follies. Talk about an Austin classic.
  • perforgeekperforgeek Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Call the Nat Science peeps and tell them you want to come and they should say it's fine. At least that's what we do for normal tours if it's full.

And uh there will be NO classes. It's spring break....Unless you are coming the Friday before spring break starts you will be met with empty classrooms, that is, if all the buildings aren't locked. You'll have to call the advising office to see if they're open during spring break.

As for the basketball....UT Basketball is over for home games on March 2. The only basketball that will be going on at Frank Erwin during Spring break is High School Boys UIL. The big 12 thing ends on the 12th but in another state. That "event" you listed is on the radio. Like people send in questions and stuff. xD

Also you should be aware that SXSW is going on during spring break so getting around might be difficult.
  • zlczlc Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    Be aware that the central-Austin area will be extra busy (and colorful!) due to the SXSW music and film festival. SXSW.com

Be sure to email now to request an appt with an advisor. They are generally too busy to take walk-ins. Here's a link to the Health Professions Advising site: Health Professions Advising
    You can also request an individual visit with CNS: Prospective Students

Longhorn Sportsline is a radio sports show.

** Oops! I was slow and cross-posted!***
  • ohmyghosh09ohmyghosh09 Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    Go look at the girls
This discussion has been closed.