Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I think I am going to move on from UT Austin

12346»

Replies to: I think I am going to move on from UT Austin

• collegeshoppingcollegeshopping Registered User Posts: 1,937 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    @undecided2014
    For me, I ONLY applied to UT Austin because one of my teachers insisted I apply to the Plan 2 program and I would love it. I have not even toured yet. And with the way their admissions office works, even if I get it, it is unlikely I will tour. What few people I have met who went to UT vs TAMU, the way they behave is completely different. The UT students look past you. They recite things they were told to say, as evidenced by the fact that they use the same exact wording. They are scripted.

Let's address the "scripted" part. This is called branding and I will be the first to admit UT is a brand. If you ever go to the Parents forum, college tours are a big topic of conversation. I get what you are saying, a good down home girl giving you her life story to how she landed at TAMU is warm and fuzzy and all that happy stuff. People in Austin are generally chill and I would not stay they "look past" you, but they really just don't care what other people do. Maybe that rubs you wrong and that is perfectly ok. But it is more of a culture of Austin than UT specifically.

As far as the Plan II program goes, I am drawing the conclusion that you are still waiting to hear from them. This is a much different story than general UT admission. The people that make the decisions about Plan II admission are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They are meticulous, generous and hard working. They also read what you wrote. First your essays that you wrote on Apply Texas and then your Plan II supplement. They start these applications as soon as the first batches start rolling in. They read your resume, they read your transcript, your test scores, everything. Then they build an incoming class. They look for avid readers, musicians, scientists, poets, painters, mathematicians, mechanical engineers, all the while looking for that special "Plan2ness" that they advertise. I have no idea what that is, but I will tell you when you are involved in the program as a parent or a student you know it when you see even if you can't describe it. Building and making these incoming classes take time, a great deal of patience and sometimes negotiation. The people behind the curtain know you are anxious to hear form them, but to them it is an art and frankly rushing it is a disservice to every word written by every applicant. The structure of the Plan II incoming class is what makes Plan II special. It might not be the Ivy League, but it is a really special program for a really good price if you are instate. Classes are small, the community is very close knit and the support is amazing. Plan II kids don't judge or compete against each other, they leave that for the rest of the University. They spend their time on collaboration, drinking in knowledge and learning from not only their professors but from each other. They bond through the toughest class at UT...Plan II Physics and they celebrate really heavily when it is done. So I have complete respect that you don't want to wait anymore. But they are taking their time to make sure everyone has a place and that the fit is just right. And if that is not worth waiting for so be it. But I can assure you I have never met a Plan II kid who for one minute regretted their decision to wait for that big brown envelope. And of course some get their envelopes in November. These are the very, very Plan II kids. You'll know them when you meet them. You are drawn right to them. They crafted their application in just a way where the class is built around them. The admission committee has to start somewhere. It is just how it is.

Edited to add @undecided2014: I also looked at another post where you posted that you had everything into UT by Nov 10 "Liberal Arts and Plan II." Priority Deadline for Plan II was October 15, 2013. At that point Plan II starts to review apps and build that class. By Nov 10, 2013, the first wave of acceptances where being prepared to be mailed. That quickly shrunk your chance. If they offer admission to X number of kids and they send out X number of acceptances, then you know how math works, there are less to go around. Of course there are still spaces, but the just like cars that pour into a parking lot, the later you arrive, the fewer spots there are.
  • chickenfiestachickenfiesta Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    @undecided2014
    I'll repeat the question that another user has already asked. What Ivy League institutions have you gotten into? You come off as extremely bitter and entitled by suggesting that out of tens of thousands of unique, and possibly better applicants, you should be looked to first just because your SAT score is in the 75 percentile. UT Austin's 50% graduation rate? Have you heard of A&M's 50% graduation rate? UT Austin is an incredible school in its own right, with incredible honors programs that have near 100% job placement rates. A&M is also an amazing school, but neither deserves to be bashed just because you haven't gotten in yet. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that UT Austin has not sent you a decision yet, although they clearly state that most decisions will come in late February or Early March. I'm sorry that you feel that it's not worth the wait, although UT Austin has some of the top programs in the country. I'm sorry that you feel the need to tear down other people and universities just because you aren't mature enough to accept the fact that you haven't been accepted yet. Welcome to the real world.
  • TorveauxTorveaux Registered User Posts: 1,461 Senior Member
    The Ivies? More reputation than reality, especially in the sciences. If you want to be a lawyer, by all means take that merit scholarship at Harvard....oh wait...the Ivies don't have merit scholarships...hmm...well assuming your parents are very wealthy or very poor, you can be a great lawyer coming out of the Ivies. Princeton and Cornell are the only ones will really good engineering programs.

Your posts are sounding like a spoiled little kid who didn't get picked first so you talk bad about the game. It is called sour grapes. I am no UT fan. I am only here because S1 is interested in UT as an option. MIT is his first choice, but with only 1000 undergrads per year that is tough even for a NMF. Big universities are mostly what you make of them. Find one that fits you and move on. The process at UT seems to be better than at A&M in the sense that they don't go as much on first to apply. I'd rather see the most deserving kids get accepted than rush to admit those who applied when it opened up.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,403 Senior Member
    Ditto. UT is not for everyone, nor is TAMU. Good that you are moving on.
  • Saona63Saona63 Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    @undecided2014
    I read all those likns Ya Ya posted and I feel for you. I hope you get where you need to be, be happy and successful. Best of luck to you
  • brighdalakebrighdalake Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    edited February 2014
    "it would not be a good academic match for me."

I don't understand..UT is a fantastic school with top notch programs.

What I would recommend to you is to understand whether YOU feel like a school is a right FIT for you. You want to be in a place where you are comfortable and can grow academcially, but also socially and culturally. Pick a school beyond just prestige and "academic elitness." Of course you are going to college for an education, but don't forget that you won't be spending your entire four years straight with your nose in a book. I don't understand the hype with ivy league schools. Go where you feel is right for you, not what is considered the "absolute best."

Where do you see yourself?
  • 135pipe135pipe Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    Did you ever get in
  • 135pipe135pipe Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    I could have never moved on that's why I appealed and by gods grace got in
12346»
This discussion has been closed.