right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

University of Texas at Austin Class of 2023 Admissions

Replies to: University of Texas at Austin Class of 2023 Admissions

• tristatecoogtristatecoog 69 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Are many of those that got uncapped with an appeal from the Dallas area? I heard that adcom messed up the non-auto formula for DFW area kids with counselors from top feeders making direct appeals to the University that something must be wrong. Guess it was.
    · Reply · Share
  • comptechmomcomptechmom 124 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @tristatecoog I'm guessing the non-auto formula was messed for many schools from what I'm hearing. I just don't know how many school counselors knew to question this. I know not all the students at my son's high school (and we Local) who fell just shy of the 6% even bothered to appeal they just picked a different school. This is really alarming.
    · Reply · Share
  • Meadow530Meadow530 123 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you @comptechmom!
    · Reply · Share
  • TexasTrueTexasTrue 34 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    NOTICE for Class of 2024 applicants: Apply Texas essay topics have changed. Find the topics here: https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/includes_v2/essay_prompts_2020.pdf
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam 1881 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @TexasTrue thanks so much for posting that. I am confused by Texas' application (I have a high school junior).

Do they just pick one of those essay topics? On the UT application it says for the required essay:

All freshman applicants must submit a required essay, Topic A in ApplyTexas and the UT Austin Required Essay in the Coalition application. Please keep your essay between 500-700 words (typically two to three paragraphs).

Is Essay A the same as the UT Austin Required essay?

And if they are requiring A, why is there a choice B and C?

Then they mention short answers also. Is that B and C?

Any idea?

Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • oosbhpparentoosbhpparent 13 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I personally know an out of state student who appealed and was admitted in 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • egginmeganegginmegan 28 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @collegemomjam If your child chooses to use the ApplyTexas application then required essay is Topic A. It should be about the same prompt as the Coalition. Essays B and C might be required for other Texas schools your child is applying to, but there is speculation as to whether or not doing them for UT gives your application more “oomph.” Personally, I got in without writing either B or C (to journalism.) There are three short answers outside of the essay requirement. Hope this helps!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks @egginmegan.

So are you saying an applicant can do B and C in addition to A, or just do one of the above?
    · Reply · Share
  • egginmeganegginmegan 28 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It’s either. Essay A is the only required one, so if your kid chooses to do B or C or both is their prerogative
    · Reply · Share
  • juststaycooljuststaycool 75 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    If you are applying to UT Austin, you should do everything on the application–all the "optional" pieces. This was by far the longest application my son filled out last year. He applied CNS & Plan ll. Was accepted to both in the first round of acceptances. Do not skimp on the UT application! those essays & resume matter! Submit all the recs you can too.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for clarifying! So sounds like doing A, B and C is the way to go.
    · Reply · Share
  • rswheelerrswheeler 7 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Anyone receive word from FRI tonight? Not sure if they email or what it means if I didn’t hear anything today.
    · Reply · Share
  • txaggiemomtxaggiemom 27 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @rswheeler My daughter is also waiting to hear from FRI and did not hear anything yesterday. We assume it will be an email but are not sure. I’ll post if she hears something!

Another question—has anyone had a Valedictorian and been through the tuition waiver process? I’m trying to find out what amount is waived? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MomJojoMomJojo 34 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
  • bookmom7bookmom7 894 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    @txaggiemom- my DS was. There is a form you complete & submit (I think we got it from our school counselor)- they are very helpful with the process. The amount for Freshman year fall & spring semester tuition and fees was automatically applied to the 'what I owe.'
    Congrats!
    · Reply · Share
    @MomJojo @bookmom7 Thank you! I had seen the link. I even called and went through 3 different departments yesterday before one finally said it was the full tuition & fees since UT does not separate them. However, I have also read that it is tuition only, not fees, so I was still skeptical. If it is really full tuition & fees for a year, meaning about $10,600 total, we are beyond thrilled!
    · Reply · Share
  • juststaycooljuststaycool 75 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @txaggiemom @rswheeler yes, my son received an email on Friday saying he was admitted to CNS FRI.
    · Reply · Share
    @juststaycool Thanks for the update & congrats!
    @rswheeler My daughter had an email yesterday (Monday) that she is waitlisted for FRI.
    · Reply · Share
  • BelmontVABelmontVA 51 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Can anyone please share out of state acceptance rate? Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomJojoMomJojo 34 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 13
    @BelmontVA About 8%.
    edited August 13
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
    · Reply · Share