right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Chances for cockrell and how to bolster my stats?

normalaccountnormalaccount 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hi,
I am about to be senior (class of 2021), I live in Texas. I'm interested into getting into Cockrell School of Engineering (top choice is an aerospace engineering). I'm not top 10%, but probably top 15%. My school is insanely competitive.
My SAT score is 1530, with an 800 on math. I've taken Calculus BC (i went from precal to BC directly), AP chemistry, and physics 1 and 2. I had an A in physics and chemistry 2nd semester, but a B in calculus and in the 1st semester of AP Chemistry. My ECs however don't really relate to my major- marching band and model UN, both of which I've participated in throughout high school (I started Model UN in middle school). I have planned to try and take STEM-like activities outside school, but because of marching band and a part-time job it is hard to find room for one.
Right now, I'm planning to do the ACT and take Physics C as well as a "post high school" calculus class. What other actions could I take to help my image?
Side note: I also have autism, and I'm Chinese american (male). If this is the wrong place to post, sorry.
edited June 9
3 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances for cockrell and how to bolster my stats?

• baeriabaeria 57 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Hey @normalaccount ! Welcome to College Confidential. You seem like a pretty good candidate. To be honest, I think your chances at UTAu are quite slim considering you are not in the top 6% of your class. Austin tends to weigh rank very heavily, so it will definitely be a reach. I suggest looking into some Auto-admits as safeties (e.g. Texas Tech, TAMU, etc). Do you have a budget in mind? Also, are you willing to go OOS? Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • DTXMomDTXMom 39 replies2 threads Junior Member
    If you are in-state, I think you look reasonably strong even though you won't be auto-admitted. Obviously there are no guarantees, so apply other places but if you really want Cockrell you definitely have a shot.
    · Reply · Share
  • normalaccountnormalaccount 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Hi @baeria, yes. I have looked at TAMU and UT Dallas and would be happy to go to either, a good number of my friends who aren't top are going there. I am also looking at OOS schools as well (GA tech and couple others).
    · Reply · Share