Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

What are my chances of getting into the honors program?

MickJagMickJag Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
Texas is probably the hardest school I'm applying to. I'm pretty sure that I'll be admitted to the school, but I not quite as confident about getting into the honors program because I'm coming from out of state and I know that Texas doesn't accept many out of state students.

My stats are in my profile.

Are there a decent number of students from California? How liberal is Austin compared to San Francisco?
Post edited by MickJag on

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into the honors program?

  • thelonerangertheloneranger Registered User Posts: 1,624 Senior Member
    You haven't given us anywhere near enough information to tell you your chances. Your SAT score is solid, that's about all we know. However, you haven't given a class rank and this is essential to determine your Plan II and UT chances. You also haven't listed leadership and activities and this is 20% of the total (your entire academic profile is only 20%). In addition, the two essays are 40% of the total and 20% is given to "how Plan II are you" which is really a bunch of intangibles. So you'd need to give more info. And just so you know, it's easier for OOS kids to get in to Plan II than it is for them to get in to the University--Plan II doesn't discriminate based on geography at all as far as I know. It's only 95% Texan because hardly anyone knows about it from out of state.

    In response to your other questions: I know of 3 Californians who go to UT. I'd say there are a few, but the entire other 49 states make up less than 5% of UT's 35,000 undergrads, so there won't be a lot. And secondly, Austin absolutely is not as liberal as San Francisco. Austin is liberal for Texass. It's quirky for Texas. But in California, Austin would be a normal, moderate town. It's a hotbed for liberal activity in Texas, but compared to most of the west coast or the north, it's still not that liberal. Texas is just so conservative that people think it is.
  • MickJagMickJag Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    I don't know my exact rank, but I believe that I'll be in the top 3%. Right now, I'm doing varsity soccer and track (captain of my soccer). I'm also on the debate team. I'm in a few clubs too.

    I am quite liberal. Do you think I'll be able to fit in at UT?
  • My Name Is JonasMy Name Is Jonas Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Just as UT bleeds orange, it bleeds liberal. You should "fit" right in.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    If you don't want to major in Plan II (with or without a double major), I think that if you are majoring in an area that is in the College of Liberal Arts, if your admissions essays are as good as your stats suggest they would be, you would be likely to be offered a spot in Liberal Arts Honors. [If you are asking about Deans Scholars (for Natural Sciences) or Business Honors, I can't say.]

    UT is great. You might read the comments from out of state students on the Class of 2012 facebook group to get a feel for who is coming from where and what they are majoring in, for the class of freshman starting school now.

    UT is not as liberal as Oberlin.
This discussion has been closed.