Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

UTDallas Vs UTAustin

CbatarsehCbatarseh Registered User Posts: 364 Member
I will be able to get a full scholarship at UTDallas and likely nothing (or almost nothing) at UTAustin. I've heard a lot of great things about the latter, but not so much the former. I just want an insight on how UTDallas is compared to UTAustin. Is it still considered a fairly good college?
Post edited by Cbatarseh on

Replies to: UTDallas Vs UTAustin

• UTDCometUTDComet Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I have no idea why you would walk away from a full ride. Does your family have money?

Yes, UT Dallas is a great school with good rankings. It has one of the highest incoming SAT/ACT scores of a freshman class in the state of Texas. UT Dallas scores are typically higher than UT Austin and Texas A&M. It is medium sized (19,000 students) that can still give students some great individual attention.

However, it is not a party school. Yes, you can find people to party with and every drug under the sun, it is not the norm.

I encourage you to really think about the long term before walking away from a full ride scholarship. Do you really want to pay over $2,000 for the average three hour class at UTAustin vs $0 at UT Dallas?
  • andy09andy09 Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    UTD is not exactly on par with UT Austin reputation-wise, but is still very good. What are you interested in studying? The engineering/computer science departments are very well thought of and are well recruited. Lots of intelligent students choose UTD due to the AES/McDermott etc. scholarships so you should be in good company. The dorms are amazing-much better than the ones at UT.

I would recommend UTD, unless you don't mind (are able to) pay over 80K extra for UT
  • UTDCometUTDComet Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Andy09 is correct, it is not on par reputation-wise. UTD is still a little known school outside of academia. If you had full ride to UT Austin and UT Dallas, I would say go to UT Austin. However, unless you have the money to pay out of pocket it is simply not worth it to spend 80K plus on college.
This discussion has been closed.