Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UTD vs UH for CS

2»

Replies to: UTD vs UH for CS

• BlubbaBlubba Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Resident Assistants get a dorm to themselves, which is one of the usual triples but for only one person.
  • BobbiePinBobbiePin Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    The apartments are on campus and are considered dorms as well. The apartment dorms also have a kitchen area with appliances where as the dorms have only a small area (can rent a microwave and mini refrigerator) although is a luxury for freshman. The apt bathrooms are spacious with a bath/shower and much storage. Apartment dorms are definitely more private especially appealing to the sophomores and beyond who want to be on campus...there is even a huge walk in closet and washer dryer in every apartment.
  • kingaionkingaion Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Hm so I CAN get private dorms anywhere or only resident assistants can get it?

Another thing I wouldn't want to deal with is dorm internet limitations, censors, tracking, etc. No idea what UT's policies are for this but anything is bad. I know some universities are way more strict than others though.
  • BobbiePinBobbiePin Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    If you are not a freshman you can apply for a private apartment through University Village. It would be a good idea to check their website for all the options. If you totally want to live off campus there are several different off campus housing facilities available but the nice thing is that UTD has such great housing facilities (apartments) on campus already.
    Sounds good.
    Does living at University Village mean you have to live by their internet limitations that I mentioned earlier? Turns out I could be going this Spring, earlier than I anticipated.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,563 Senior Member
    So, you want a single/private apartment with unlimited internet with no censors, tracking, etc.? Sounds like you're up to something. . . (I don't know anything about the internet service in the apartments.)
    Lol, I guess I can sort of see why you'd think that. I don't like my privacy invaded. The school has no business sticking its nose in what I do online. And this isn't about explicit material either, I have friends whose universities block things like servers for certain video games, peer-to-peer networks (even 100% legitimate ones that aren't piracy sites) etc.

These things are annoying to average users trying to play an online game, imagine how frustrating it would be to a computer science major.

The living alone part is only due to sanitary issues because I'm a pretty germophobic.
2»
This discussion has been closed.