Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

utd gpa inflation

marzbarzmarzbarz Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
how hard is it to get a good gpa at utd compared to ut austin or a&m (while having a social life)

can someone please like rank them in academic difficulty
Post edited by marzbarz on

Replies to: utd gpa inflation

• kbfunkymonkeykbfunkymonkey Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    I don't go to UTD but...its the same pretty much everywhere...it all depends on your major. Easier majors will usually have higher gpa averages, while harder majors will have lower gpa averages.
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    i dont really know if we have grade inflation here. barely any professors I've had so far curved our grades. Some do drop 1 test out of 4 that we will take. thats about it.
  • ignatiusignatius Registered User Posts: 3,211 Senior Member
    UTD and UT-Austin have a +/- grading scale - which can be a good thing or a bad thing, I guess. It rewards a student with a B+ by acknowledging that his/her grades are higher than someone with a B-: a student with an 89 in a class made a better grade in the class than someone with an 80 and it shows on the gpa.

On the other hand, an A- is still a 4.0 at A&M :) And so on ...

(At least, I don't think A&M has a +/- grading scale.)
  • RollingRolling Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    A&M doesn't have a +/- grading scale. I'm glad it didn't.
  • jgn2011jgn2011 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    +/- really depends on perspective. For instance, if someone were to hypothetically receive an 82 on every graded exam, homework and quiz with no curves, they'd have a G.P.A. of 2.67 but if that same person received an 87 on every single assignment, they'd have a G.P.A. of 3.33. Certainly if you are receiving C+ or B+ it is an advantage but the difference between a B- and a B+ can be jarring if you aren't used to it.
  • ignatiusignatius Registered User Posts: 3,211 Senior Member
    ^^^^

Well said!
This discussion has been closed.