Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Science Course Difficulty

ZFanaticZFanatic Registered User Posts: 1,591 Senior Member
So I'm currently a freshman at Cornell looking to transfer elsewhere. There's a lot of things, but long story short Cornell's just not the right place for me. Unfortunately I have two strikes against me for transferring. 1, my GPA isn't that good... Like a 2.9 or 3.0 by the end of this year. I mean it's not BAD, but it's certainly not that spectacular. and 2, I haven't applied anywhere and most schools are April 1 deadlines for fall admission. So I've got a few schools on my list, UTD being one of them since I live <5 minutes away, and I know it's got a very respectable science program.

I'm wondering how hard the curves and such are there. One of the hardest things about Cornell is simply competing with these kids for the A, and it's just nuts. I mean I hold my own, I'm doing quite well in Chemistry which is what I'll be majoring in, but still getting the A in a B- median class is just challenging. Will I be killed by UTD curves in orgo and physics?

I'm certainly not looking for the easy way out (or I'd be going to Richland or Quad C for another year) but I am a pre-med and as such don't want to make things more difficult than need be. It comes down to me either transferring somewhere with 0 scholarship money paying about 10k more than UTD, or transferring to UTD for a year to pull my GPA up then going where I really wanna go and have in-state paying the same price as UTD.

Opinions? Thanks :D
Post edited by ZFanatic on

Replies to: Science Course Difficulty

• bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    there isnt really a curve for orgo, but an 80 is an A. This semester, around 25 ppl have at least an 80 out of a class of over 150 for my teacher. Physics, depends on the prof. My prof actually graded on a real curve and his tests were hard. A+ in both classes, so very doable. You have to study cuz it's no walk in the park.
This discussion has been closed.