Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University of Toronto

Replies to: University of Toronto

• arkm110arkm110 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @zach1198‌ is the interview for engineering only or for all applicants
  • PlebeianDreamerPlebeianDreamer Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @arkm110‌ It's only for engineering as far as I know.
  • zach1198zach1198 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @arkm110‌ I think it's only for engineering applicants. But I think I remember hearing the guy say that it might be added to other direct entry faculty requirements. But I'm not sure.
  • manas1997manas1997 Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    I got into Physical and Applied Math at St. George(Innis), Life Science at Mississauga, and Math, Computer Science and Statistics at Scarborough. I didn't need to write an essay or do anything for that matter( my grade 12 avg. is high, so I guess they just accepted me).

BTW I'm Canadian..
    Also, University of Waterloo is MUCH better than UofT for engineering. UofT has like 80k people. Though they have great faculty, so does Waterloo. And Waterloo has arguably the best math program in the world. They have the best co op in the NA and to top it all of, they have a world class Physics research institute nearby.
    @manas1997‌
    I agree with you that Waterloo is also great. Both are great schools. But, waterloo is not really in a city which was why I didn't want to go there. Regardless, @arkm110 you should check out Waterloo as well, you might enjoy it more. When I visited there, it seemed much smaller than U of T and they have a great co-op like manas said.
    Thanks guys. I'm going to applie to Waterloo as well because my dad went there for undergrad and he's told me a lot about it. I prefer U of T over Waterloo because I was born in Toronto and its a more popular school although both are great. What would be my chances in getting in at Waterloo? @zach1198‌ and @manas1997‌
  • PlebeianDreamerPlebeianDreamer Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @arkm110‌ It depends on the specific engineering program you're applying to.

https://uwaterloo.ca/engineering/future-undergraduate-students/application-process/admission-averages Those are averages and acceptance rate for specific engineering programs at Waterloo. Now, I suppose these statistics pertain mostly to domestic students, so no one really knows the statistics for say international students.

And I agree with the above posters, Waterloo has a far more integrated engineering faculty than U of T. The co-op program is what really makes it shine. If you are planning to go into industry right after your undergraduate, the experience you get through the co-op program will get you farther than the international recognition U of T gets.
    edited March 2015
    @arkm110‌
    I have no idea how to chance. I have a 93 average all honors and ap classes, and Waterloo rejected me. I'm hoping I'll have better luck at u of t. I think I might have been rejected b/c I only have one club and volunteer work for my ec's. But I have no idea.

Also, Waterloo has a much better co-op program than U of T. But, U of T also has a year between 3 and 4th year (optional) where you can work for a year as a paid intern. I remember hearing from the admissions director that participants in that usually get a higher starting salary than those who don't. As well as a good chunk of participants have guaranteed jobs from their previous employers. But, either way both schools are good. But Waterloo has a much better co-op program.

Based on US News rankings, U of T ranks 32nd in engineering, and waterloo ranks 40th in the world. Just saying the rankings. I'm not sure how accurate they are. I'm sure a lot of people know way more than me. I just applied to waterloo, i was never really interested in going there, so i never did much research into it. So I would take the advice from other people about this.
    As long as your not r-tarded, I heard you can easily get a job at silicon valley.

As for your chances, I am not so sure, I know that I am almost guaranteed based off of my math marks alone(I applied for Math). I got a 97 in Advanced Functions and Data Management, and they REALLY like your math marks and Physics and Chemistry marks as well. Do well in those classes and you should be in. I don't know your grades or your marking system so... sorry.

Let me just mention that Waterloo is a TOP notch school. I'd prolly put it on par with CMU. The only disadvantage is the student faculty ratio, which is lower than UofT but still high, and the fact that the kids there may not be as smart as those you would find at a CMU.
    @manas1997‌
    I have a 98 average in AP Calculus and received mid/high 90s in chemistry and physics. I don't know why they rejected me if you say that you are guaranteed acceptance. But who knows. Nobody can tell what they are thinking when they made their decision.
    @zach1198 You already got rejected? I thought nobody gets rejected until the very end, but that could be because I am Canadian. You must be international, so your 98 would be like 90(the difference between a Canadian A and a US A is about 8 percent) in Canada. Again take what I said with a grain of salt as I don't know. From what I DO know, for Canadians at least, grades are pretty much all that matter.
    edited March 2015
    @manas1997 Yea :neutral_face: Didn't really bother me much because I want a big city for a school. But yea, that is why i like Mcgill's application so much. They don't even care about your EC's lol.
    @zach1198‌ did you get into U of T?
    @‌arkm110
    I am still waiting for a reply. My app was on hold since they haven't received my midterm grades until Friday.
This discussion has been closed.