Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Northern v. Southern VA...

Replies to: Northern v. Southern VA...

• SoccerGrl010SoccerGrl010 Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    No, you don't have to pay to attend TJ. And everyone isn't so rich that they wouldn't care. I meant that more as sometimes people wish it wasn't affiliated with FCPS because there are some county rules and regulations that don't really apply to TJ but we have to follow them because we are a public school. I think everyone is very grateful to get a great education without having to pay for it, but at the same time, there are changes made to the school by the county that are very unpopular within the school's walls.
  • michaelburtmichaelburt Registered User Posts: 571 Member
    I said there is no way there are more people in Southern Virginia which implies south and west of Charlottesville. VA Beach and newport News aren't Southern VA. I still can't believe there are more people in Southern VA (ie Roanoke, Craig, Floyd, Franklin, Wise, Patrick, Henry, Appomatix, Montgomery, and all of those counties) than in NoVa, there is no way. I live in southern VA and there isn't anything here except in Roanoke and Danville/Martinsville.
  • InvirginiaInvirginia Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    and Lynchburg
  • sv3asv3a Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    Southwest of Charlottesville is typically called Southwest Virginia, not Southern Virginia. Part of it is included in Southern, but when you start getting around the Roanoke area it's hard to just define all that as Southern and exclude the other half.
  • shaddixshaddix Registered User Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    I usually think of Roanoke and other areas as being part of Southwest Va...still in the southern part, but just more in the west. Still, Va Beach IS in the southern part of the state. It may not be in the central southern part, but it is in the south in relation to NoVa. If you want to be technical...the southeastern part.
  • illnevergetinillnevergetin Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    i was glancing at some of these and it sounds like NoVa people (though in the nicest way) have a problematic superiority complex. So, in the nicest way, i just have to let you know you're wrong. :) There are so many factors to be taken into account that cause the differences in the number of people from "NoVa" or SoVa (haha) being accepted to UVa that it's pretty hard to effectively compare them (thats pretty much true everywhere i guess). My guess is that one of the smaller factors would be quality of the school as a whole. Perhaps NoVa schools are so much more "competitive" because of all the smog and overcrowding and general state of blah. (now i am joking, sort of). generally that leads to a more up-tight atmosphere. cool. plus its closer to DC...that must be pretty stressful, I mean thats pretty much where those free speech zones start and end right? Like...200 miles from the prez?subtlties. :)
    Its also sort of funny that as one stated that NoVa's more liberal (true) they also stated something along the line that the rest of the state uses up all their tax dollars. mmmmm <3 oxymorons.
    sorry, i'm having fun with this. ok: northern virginia more people and if we must go into quality of the school: better.
  • shaddixshaddix Registered User Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    I was sensing some kind of complex as well...glad to see I am not making up stuff in my mind...
    Not to offend anyone, but it is true that NoVa gets back a ridiculously low percent of the tax dollars sent to Richmond. That's a reason there was talk of NoVa seceeding from the rest of VA. The school system is supposedly better but there are a lot of buildings in really crappy shape and very overcrowded. Many, MANY roads are also in desperate need of attention. But VA schools like UVA are an incentive to stay a part of the state.

And NoVa has a LOWER acceptance rate than the rest of the state. There are more people accepted because there are more applicants. Check this out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/education/specials/uva_chart.htm?nav=hptop_ts
    When the hell was their talk of NOVA seceeding? And look up Southern VA somewhere and I bet you VA Beach, Richmond, Newport, and Hampton aren't included. Southwest is another name for southern VA pretty much. VA Beach to Richmond is Tidewater.
    google "Northern Virginia seceding" and you will find many websites on the topic. Here's an article that was the first thing that popped up:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?archive=true&article=8488&paper=72&cat=104

There HAS been talk about it but, like this article says, it is highly unlikely it'll happen.
  • tenniskid99tenniskid99 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Come on, Soccergirl it's not just NoVa that's not getting tax dollars. Here in Chesapeake and Hampton Roads our roads suck too and yes, my school also has leaky ceilings (even though it is fairly wealthy as well). My school has a lot of poorly performing, lazy students but the top 5% are extremely bright and have great SATs and GPAs, and I would stack these students up with any NoVa kids any day. Secession from the state, that is pretty funny. Give it a rest, lol.
    I never said it is just NoVa that has this problem. It is true though that NoVa does get less than a quarter back on every dollar. Somebody said something about NoVa tax dollars and all I said was that is true.

I'm sure there are kids all around the state that stack up to NoVa kids. Again, somebody said more NoVa kids get in than anywhere else and another person said that the dimmest kids at UVA are NoVa kids. Somebody else said UVA takes a bunch of NoVa kids just to fill the seats. All I was saying is the % accepted from NoVa is not higher than everywhere else and NoVa kids are not having an easier time getting in just because UVA has to fill seats.

Secession was just a side note I brought up when I mentioned the tax dollars. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. That doesn't mean people haven't TALKED about it. Sorry for trying to contribute intellectually to the debate.
    I'll tell you where they are hurting: Counties like Wise and Scott which have a 20% poverty rate and an insane unemployment rate.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    SoccerGrl already addressed this... but:
    Its also sort of funny that as one stated that NoVa's more liberal (true) they also stated something along the line that the rest of the state uses up all their tax dollars. mmmmm <3 oxymorons.

Northern Virginia votes liberal:
    Fairfax County voted for Kerry
    Alexandria voted for Kerry
    Arlington voted for Kerry
    Falls Church voted for Kerry

Northern Virginia also gets a small percentage of the taxes it pays to the state. They're going to build the metro out to the airport, and they're talking about raising the toll on the road that the metro is going to be in the median of to fund the STATE'S portion of the metro. It's ridiculous.
  • sv3asv3a Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    I think what he meant was that as liberal citizens, many NoVa residents should not care and actually be happy that much of their tax dollars are being spent around all over Virginia, with little concern about how much actually goes to NoVa.
This discussion has been closed.