Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Extremely torn between being a Wahoo and a Hokie (any input would be appreciated)

JeSuisKelvinJeSuisKelvin Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
Hello all! With decision day making it's way in less than a week, I thought I could funnel onto here and get your opinion on a huge conflicting notion that's plagued me since I got my admission letters! By the grace of God, I've been blessed enough to be accepted into both of these amazing institutions. The problem is, I was 100% locked in on UVA, up until the moment I found out that Virginia Tech had given me a four year, full-ride scholarship. Yep, Tech offered to pay for all of it. Now, with my UVA financial letter status pending, I hope to get those digits in before Sunday night rolls around so I can get an accurate picture of my financial situation If i were to attend UVA, but at this point, I'm a sitting duck doing as much research as I can.

A little about me and my thoughts on both schools: From the moment I found out what college was and that education didn't just end after 12th grade, I had dreamed about going to UVA. There was something about it that seduced me in the most appropriate way- it might've been the way it rolled off the tongue, or the vibe that I meshed with during my first visit on Grounds. I loved everything about it, from the renowned faculty, to the work-hard, play-hard mindset of its students, to the world-class academics that I will be receiving. I hope to pursue a track in Economics/Pre-Commerce and see where that takes me, but I am certain that whatever I plan to do, that UVA has the most ideal foundation for me within any of its schools.

Then there is Tech- the big rival. Tech has its differences; more secluded city life, larger student body, more limestone? but overall a much different feel than what I got from UVA. I got admitted into the Pamplin School of Business, and albeit can't quite be compared to McIntire, definitely has its upsides as well. At this point, you can probably tell where my bias lies. But the one thing that keeps bringing me back, is knowing that I will graduate four years from now with not a single penny to pay back.

I honestly don't know what to do. Many of my friends whom I look up to and who've gone through similar things have told me the same thing; debt>all. But I have to take into account another perspective at some point. UVA is my calling, but Tech is like the infinitesimal voice within me, urging me to pursue otherwise.

Many of my friends attend both schools, so it'll be great to be able to know so many familiar faces wherever I go, along with branching out and finding a new side of me with all of the people I'll be going to school with. As of right now, I'm genuinely leaning towards UVA, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Any thoughts? To the parents who read this, if I were your son, what would you tell me?

Replies to: Extremely torn between being a Wahoo and a Hokie (any input would be appreciated)

• doglover1998doglover1998 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Did you get the Virginia Tech Presidential Scholarship Initiative? That's what I received as well, but I chose UVA because their financial program meets 100% of the students' needs, and I felt their academics would fit my rigor more. If your EFC is very low, you should really contact them since decisions are coming to a close. SIS does update every Tuesday and Friday I believe. You could always transfer after two years to minimize the debt if you believe UVA is the one for you.
  • CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,049 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    It is a shame you haven't received UVa's financial aid offer. I believe in that case, if you specifically ask, UVa will delay your decision date, and Tech might also be willing to delay their date a few days (especially since they really want you).

In the meantime, run the net cost calculator on UVa's website to get a best guess of your likely cost at UVa.

Then, I would estimate how much debt you would need to attend UVa. If you can attend UVa for the $25,000 of Stafford loans that most students can receive over 4 years, you should be able to pay that off over 10 years without financial strain. Payments on those federal loans are delayed if you attend grad or professional school at least half time. There are online calculators showing monthly payments with different amounts of college loans. If you would also need private or PLUS loans to make UVa work, then the interest rates and terms are much worse.

You can then make an informed decision: Is UVa worth paying a total of $X more over 4 years or paying $Y a month in loan payments, compared to Va Tech?
  • JeSuisKelvinJeSuisKelvin Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @Charliesch and @doglover1998 , great news!

I just received my letter a few hours ago and I'm happy to say that with the way the aid is coming out, I will now most likely be attending UVA in the fall!

@doglover1998 Thank you so much for the ideas, and I completely agree with you on the difference in academic calibers of both schools, and my EFC is quite low indeed. I hope to see you around on Grounds this fall?

And @Charliesch, I wholesomely thank you for the alternative methods in calculating my financial situation, the letter couldn't have come at a better time! I must admit, I've been looking/following your posts and threads on this site for as long as I could remember finding the UVA thread here, and you've been superb in helping students like us find a clear and concise viewpoint. From all that you've helped, including myself- thank you.
  • CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,049 Senior Member
    You are very welcome. Wahoowa.
This discussion has been closed.