Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I hate UVA and want to warn others

2»

Replies to: I hate UVA and want to warn others

• Langgirl2Langgirl2 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Over 35 years ago, when I (Asian American) was a senior at a high school in Northern VA, I noticed many kids (including whites, Jewish kids and Asian-Americans) were applying to UVA, so I decided to visit the UVA campus and check it out. As my friend and I were driving in his car, I suddenly realized that UVA seemed to be going towards the direction of WEST Virginia where I never went before, and then I began to notice one or two KKK posters here and there several miles from the campus. That unnerved me enough so that I did a quick tour of the campus and came back and never even applied there. Fast forward to several years ago, I took my elderly parents to Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, and had a very good time and learned a lot about how Thomas Jefferson treated his slaves including his own servant son who looked very much like him.
  • Dean JDean J College Rep Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    @Langgirl2, Are you still at UVA? Have you not found any happiness? Why have you not looked into transfer? I am happy to help you if you want to talk.

@websensation Are you saying that 35 years ago, UVA was in a different location? It has been 2 hours south of Gainesville since the beginning.

FWIW, UVA students know more about Jefferson's faults than the average American. Our community is well aware that he was a very flawed man. We have a website all about the school and founder's history with enslaved labor and first years take a special tour of the historic part of Grounds with a UGuide who has studied that history.

http://slavery.virginia.edu/

Post edited by skieurope on
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    To OP: If you hate any college for whatever reason, just transfer rather than wasting your valuable energy by hating the place. But realize the grass is often not greener elsewhere. For me, certain experiences I had near the area long time ago led me to not apply, but to many, UVA is Harvard of the South — at least it was marketed that way long time ago. They have good medical, law and business schools, I believe. I guess I mentioned Thomas Jefferson because when I think of UVA, I automatically think of TJ, a highly interesting man with many interests.
  • oldUVAgradoldUVAgrad Registered User Posts: 368 Member
    OP, when we attended orientation events, we were told that UVA is a wonderful school with numerous opportunities, but that students will need to pursue and initiate these opportunities. What are you interested in? Have you joined any clubs, organizations, study groups? Pursued any internships or research opportunities? Ventured out into Charlottesville to volunteer? Please take Dean J up on her offer to assist you:).
  • CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    This is an old post that the original poster decided to boost up to the top without adding anything new.
2»