right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

U-bike vs. bring my own??

jimochiminjimochimin 19 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello! I'm a first year and the way my schedule works out, I have a couple of tight walks in between some classes. I can't really switch my schedule too much at this point because I've been pretty lucky and got a lot of the classes I want. According to google maps, I have an 11 and 13 minute walk in between classes (on days with a 10 minute break). My knees aren't too great so running with a backpack on doesn't seem all that appealing. On the other hand, it says that biking would only be 4 or 5 minutes. I have a bike of my own already, but it seems like a hassle to bring back and forth. Are there safe places to lock my bike at night (where the weather won't damage it)? I'll be in old dorms.

I've also heard about U-bike, which seems like a decent option. However, I have a couple of questions:
-Are the bikes available most of the time? How consistent is the bike availability? (Like I wouldn't want to walk out of a class expecting there to be a bike and there aren't any available near me)
-How bike friendly is the UVA campus? Does it save a lot of travel time in between classes?
-How many bike racks are available (both ubike and normal ones)? Like is there a somewhat convenient location to lock a bike at most of the class buildings? I looked up the ubike map but I don't really have a sense of the actual distance on campus yet.

Also, does anyone know how to change a discussion section time on SIS? This may be able to make my schedule more manageable distance wise.
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: U-bike vs. bring my own??

• wackywahoowackywahoo 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    To change a discussion time, first make sure there is another one available, then depending on the class try clicking edit or swap and it should become clear. Ive found that this process may be set up differently for some classes, so if you still can't figure it out I would just contact the head TA and explain.

Also that 11-13 minute walk may not account for the shortcuts you'll find. Ubike is fairly reliable, ant I think you can pay for one-time use if you just want to try it out.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34334 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You may wish to consider a skateboard, if allowed. That was one of the favored means of transport that some students used on other campuses. It's easily transported and can easily be stored near you in class and under your bed when you get to your dorm/lodging.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName 785 replies31 threadsRegistered User Member
    In the same tune of a skateboard, a scooter may be of similar interest. While not as lightweight as a skateboard, most do fold and it’s an alternative for those of us who are balanced challenged.

However, I don’t know how scooter appropriate UVA is but I see it at other campuses.
    · Reply · Share
  • jimochiminjimochimin 19 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @wackywahoo Oh I see. Thank you! Do you by chance know if a lot of students bring their own bike?
    · Reply · Share
    @HImom I have no sense of skateboarding (last time I tried was when I was in elementary school). I guess this is a random question, but would it save the same amount of time as a bike? I have no sense of how fast a skateboard goes safely. Thanks for your answer!
    · Reply · Share
    @OhWhatsHerName From orientation I did notice that there's a lot of stairs so might not be super scooter friendly. I know that bikes aren't supposed to ride on the sidewalks so I'll have to look into it. Thanks for your answer!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34334 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Skateboards can go about the same speed as a bike. You would want to practice to be sure you can navigate comfortably with people around and while toting books (via backpack or otherwise). You may also ask the U how others manage to get from class to class in the allotted time. Skateboards are not always allowed throughout campuses, so I’d inquire of your campus before acquiring one.
    · Reply · Share
  • wackywahoowackywahoo 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Plenty of people bring bikes, and there are bike racks near most dorms and academic buildings.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity