right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UVA Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

Replies to: UVA Fall 2019 Transfer Thread

• pobox2pobox2 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Just to let you know high school transcripts are required
    Many applicants are surprised that we require a high school transcript, or a GED score report from our transfers. This is an important part of application review and yes, it's required for everyone, no matter how old you are, or how long you have been in school
    From here: http://uvatransferadmission.blogspot.com/2019/02/high-school-transcripts-or-ged-are.html#disqus_thread
    · Reply · Share
  • Rjlake33Rjlake33 58 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    edited February 26
    @cellogirl1013 Wait wait wait hold on... I thought they don't accept any transfers after the third year. You'd be a 4th-year student if you were to get in. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is explicitly stated somewhere on their site that this isn't possible. I don't wanna torpedo your chances or anything, you seem like a pretty strong applicant based on the past year's forum, but you may really want to call them up before you waste money...
    edited February 26
    · Reply · Share
  • JeffreyPoJeffreyPo 48 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    edited March 1
    Applying to McIntire for Finance:

Stats:
    School: CUNY in NYC, top one and known for finance
    4.0/4.0 GPA- Took 63 credits, 12 in progress (relevant courses in macoeconomics, micro, intro to business, CIS course)
    ECs:
    - Three volunteer trips overseas
    - Blockchain internship for 6 months
    -Created my own website with a large amount of writing writers (stopped working on it a year ago)
    - have 300K twitter followers on accounts based on news/sports statistics
    - real estate internship at big company from HS

Decent essays, but not great- based on volunteer experiences, UVA's broader business scope, McIntire's reputation (not in business world, but in regards to their teaching style), and how I had to be local bc of parent illness
    Good rec from a communications teacher but not so relevant
    Around 3.8-3.9 HS GPA/4
    Not submitting SAT scores

Kinda worried that since I'll have 75 credits, they'll ignore me

- Also I got accepted to UVA arts and sciences last year (Spring semester), but didn't end up going
    edited March 1
    · Reply · Share
  • Greek31kidGreek31kid 45 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Hello everyone,

I am a student at Northern VA CC and I've applied to Mcintire, let me know what you think.

Stats-
    3.949 GPA with 59 credits completed and 19 credits in progress this semester. I will have all the humanities and foreign language requirements completed after this semester. UVA has been my dream I'm so happy to have the chance to apply.

EC-
    President of the business club with solid events each semester and a growing chapter membership
    VP of Service for the PTK honor society, a lot of service based events in the fall and spring
    I work full-time as a sales supervisor and manage a sales team

Other-
    I believe in my essays since I worked on them since the summer, should be strong
    Recc. letter from my PTK chapter advisor/Spanish professor, I waived my right to see it but I think it is good
    Stats from high school are irrelevant since I have 2 years of college under my belt
    I have a speeding ticket I disclosed on the common app, hopefully, that doesn't hurt my chances

Good luck to everyone these next two months will be rough but we will get through it!! I hope we all get in!
    · Reply · Share
  • Zalo11Zalo11 73 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Hey y'all,

I am a student at Clemson University, and I applied for psychology. I have a question. So I'm a freshman here at Clemson, but academically, I am a junior. I have 69 credits, and 89 after this semester. This is because I took AP credit and dual-enrollment classes when I was in high school. I know that UVA doesn't accept AP credit, but will they accept dual-enrollment credits?
    · Reply · Share
    And also, they said they won't accept third years, but technically, I am a junior at Clemson, so will that affect anything?
    · Reply · Share
  • Vageta17Vageta17 27 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited March 9
    @Zalo11 I’m not sure where you heard that UVa doesn’t accept AP Credits. They do accept them depending on the score you got.
    I’m pretty sure they consider you a third year based on your true standing in terms of time. You might want to double check on that however.
    edited March 9
    · Reply · Share
    @Vageta17 This is what their website said: "DOES AP CREDIT COUNT TOWARDS THE REQUIRED 24 CREDITS?
    No, you must have 24 credits of college coursework." That's why I thought they didn't accept AP credits. All my AP scores are 4-5, so if they do accept them, I hope that would be enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • l2kidsl2kids 49 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    My understanding is that AP credits can count toward placement and satisfying requirements if you get in, but they don't count toward the required 24 credits needed to be admitted. The hours of coursework taken at Clemson are what they are referring to here, when they refer to the 24 credits. (I think!)
    · Reply · Share
  • Rjlake33Rjlake33 58 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    @Zalo11 I think I might have misinterpreted what you've said. They accept AP just not as the required credit hours before transferring.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the response you guys. I will definitely have over 24 hours after this semester, so I hope there's nothing to worry about now! Does anyone know when the decisions will be out?
    · Reply · Share
    @Zalo11 the date seems to vary each year but from what I can gather, we should hear back on or before May first.
    · Reply · Share
  • alaskanlegend123alaskanlegend123 22 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Hey guys, going to be submitting my midterm report soon. I ended up switching my applied calculus course to pass or fail. Do you think this would hurt my chances of admission? I'm applying for the political philosophy, policy and law major, so I'm thinking having one P in a class that isn't in my major isn't so bad.
    · Reply · Share
    @alaskanlegend123 I wish I made my calculus course pass or fail last semester, I would have been able to have a much higher gpa... The only concern with doing this is that you need to have at least calc 1 at uva to meet CAS requirements. I'm not sure if they even transfer credits when its P/F.
    · Reply · Share
  • ivyleveredivylevered 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey all, I'm applying to UVA as a 3rd year transfer. I am coming from a university in the USNews T50, but my school does not have a strong network in the field I want to work in.

Applying to McIntire for Finance and Computer Science.

Stats:
    Ethnicity/Gender: African American Male, First Generation
    GPA: 4.0
    SAT: 1450
    ACT: 35
    Credits Completed: 47, 15 in progress

EC's:
    -President of two clubs, one is a social impact club and the other is an investment fund where I am the Chief Investment Officer, promoted after 2 semesters of success in my role as PM
    -Mentor at my former high school

Work Exp:
    -Summer internship at a bulge bracket bank in private wealth management last summer
    -Summer analyst at a bulge bracket bank in investment banking this summer (GS/MS/JPM)
    -Part time SDE intern for a startup that has gotten quite a bit of success and has been featured on a lot of popular tech articles this year (techcrunch, venturebeat, google ventures, etc)

Letters of Rec:
    -Econ professor
    -Former boss, is UVA alumni
    -Accounting prof

UVA is in my top three schools as it offers the same standard of education as most ivies/t20 schools and has an awesome reputation. I love the culture, location, and ICE program McIntire runs. I would pick this school over Wharton or NYU Stern and most would call one crazy for that.

I have completed 4 semesters of a foreign language and have met all of the McIntire prerequisites like calc 1-2, stat 1-2, non western course, etc.

I'm applying to UVA, Georgetown, NYU, UPenn, Princeton, Northwestern, Duke, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell AEM, and Berkeley Haas!

· Reply · Share
    Quick question, I withdrew from a class last year because I had a lot going on and wasn't doing well in it. It was put in as a W, do you guys think that is a red sign for the admissions team?
    · Reply · Share
  • illiteratemoronilliteratemoron 107 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    What drew y'all to UVA? My story/stats aren't too remarkable (like a 3.9 at a t30 lac, applying as a 2nd yr hist major but will prob apply to curry jr year if I attend, decent ecs and recs), and I'm only applying to Virginia schools because I'd like to be closer to home. Right now, it's the school I'm probably the least sure about on my list. What about UVA made you guys want to transfer there?
    · Reply · Share
  • IvyBound511IvyBound511 131 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    Has anyone got access to the admissions portal yet? All I've been able to access is the SIS portal.
    · Reply · Share
    @IvyBound511 you should have access to that by now
    · Reply · Share
  • Confusedaf98Confusedaf98 28 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @ivylevered You have a pretty good chance :) good luck !
    · Reply · Share