Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

engineering UVa Vs Virginia Tech

2»

Replies to: engineering UVa Vs Virginia Tech

• pamvanwpamvanw Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Sounds like Tech needs to get their numbers straight. We were told at "Engineering Days" that average for engineers is 1300. My other son went to U. Pitt & based on their food, I can guarantee you that the food is not good everywhere.
  • msutcliffe4msutcliffe4 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I searched and found this thread. I know this is from 6 years ago but can anyone say which one is better now?
  • shillyshallyshillyshally Registered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    The one that is better for you is the one that is right for you - you have to compare what you are looking for and go with where you feel you'd be happier and content. That's the true basis on which to make a comparison - rankings and other people's perceptions won't tell you what you need for you.

My D does love UVA and the e-school but she also never considered VT, it just wasn't where she saw herself. She went with fit and hasn't regretted one thing.
  • ymonymon Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    I searched and found this thread. I know this is from 6 years ago but can anyone say which one is better now?
    Some of the engineering programs at Tech edge out some of the programs at UVA and vice versa. However, the differences are minor enough that you should definitely try to visit each school and try to decide for yourself. There are so many other considerations to think about: extracurricular opportunities, cultural and sporting events, food/dorm life, location, campus atmosphere, what you're interested in minoring, etc. Make sure you're not basing a 4-year decision on a small difference in rankings.
  • msutcliffe4msutcliffe4 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Thanks guys. Although I haven't been able to visit UVa, I did watch some videos on another site and checked it out quite a bit. I'm thinking about majoring in BME but want to keep my options open.
  • shoebox10shoebox10 Registered User Posts: 3,559 Senior Member
    I transferred from Tech to UVa after my first year. Search for some of my threads since then, I give the best (and worst) of both worlds :)
  • TennisgeekTennisgeek Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    It's honestly what you make out of the opportunities you get once you are in college. For engineering, there is no argument that Vtech offers better opportunities for research.
  • blueiguanablueiguana Registered User Posts: 7,496 Senior Member
    Tennis - Old threads can be interesting to read if you feel you gain insight. When you comment on a thread that is several years old, specifically ones comparing schools, you're not likely to get any more useful information. What can be helpful is to start you own thread if you have questions specific to each university in their forums, you can then make comparisons of your own.
2»
This discussion has been closed.