Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Lab courses

ArcanenArcanen Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited April 2010 in University of Virginia
I'm an international student looking to come to UVA for the fall semester. I've organized with my home institution to receive credit for a number of courses. The list of units I have arranged to receive credit for do not include the associated lab courses.

Is it possible to do a course without the associated lab? Will I struggle in the course if I do this? For example, if I did the course ECE 3250 Electromechanical Energy Conversion (I know this doesn't run during the fall), would I be forced to do ECE 3255 Electromechanical Energy Conversion Laboratory? Would I be at a significant disadvantage for not doing the lab?
Post edited by Arcanen on

Replies to: Lab courses

• shoebox10shoebox10 Registered User Posts: 3,559 Senior Member
    I know that course personally, and yes, you have to do the lab. All ECE classes, except a select number of 400-500 level courses, you have to take the lab. The classes are usually 3 or 4 credits, but the lab is part of those credits.
  • ArcanenArcanen Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    The two ECE courses I am looking at are actually 4000 level courses. 4710 - Communications and 4850 - Linear Control Systems. Both courses are listed in the course catalog as lecture being the only required course component (ECE 3250 seems to list a lab as a required course component). The descriptions also mention prerequisites but don't mention the labs.

Would these happen to be some of the 4000 level exceptions you mentioned?
  • shoebox10shoebox10 Registered User Posts: 3,559 Senior Member
    I'd be highly surprised if you're able to take Comm or Linear Controls your first year. It requires an extensive number of pre-reqs.
    But, yes, those two courses you can simply take the 3 credit class and not take the extra 1.5 credit lab. These are our "concentration" classes, in that you have to take one 3-credit/1.5-credit lab and then one other 3-credit class in that concentration.
    In my experience, taking the lab with these classes help tremendously. Last semester I took Comm and I felt that the lab helped reinforce classwork. This semester I'm in another 3/1.5 credit course/lab, and I know people who are only in the lab and people only in the class. The people in only the lab are doing ok, but not as well as the people in the class. The people only in the class I think are significantly hampered.
  • ArcanenArcanen Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks for your response, you've made things a bit clearer. I'm actually in my third year at my home institution, so I wouldn't be taking on those courses without any preparation. I'll also essentially be taking the courses pass / not pass (or whatever UVA's equivalent is).

If anyone else has any input I would be grateful.
This discussion has been closed.