Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Jewish Life

mzyaelmzyael Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited August 2010 in University of Virginia
How is the religious diversity at UVA? How is the Jewish community? I'm a current high school senior. I attended a Jewish day school for middle school and am currently active in my USY chapter. I wouldn't call myself religiously observant, but I have been to Israel three times and plan on taking a gap year in Israel. If anyone has any information on the Hillel, Jewish life for non-observant Jews, or attitudes towards Israel on campus, that would be great. Thanks!
Post edited by mzyael on

Replies to: Jewish Life

• hazelorbhazelorb Registered User Posts: 3,238 Senior Member
    Google
    (you can similarly change that search to hillel, which is definitely the place you wanna be if you are "non-observant" -- you might also look into the jewish frat)
    attitude towards israel is similar to the public, ie there are groups pro-israel and pro-palestinians and pro-peace etc etc. it's a state school so it's going to give a good mix of public opinion. there's a good group of people that do birthright every year as well, many very secular/non-observant/non-involved other than birthright. there is a happy birthday israel day on grounds where hillel gives out birthday cake on the lawn. every week hillel has bagels on the lawn too (that was great when i was taking hebrew, the whole class would meet and chat over bagels before/after class)
    if you have specific questions feel free to post them here or pm me, though i was much more involved with the synagogue downtown than hillel. (you'll want to stay away from chabad if you're "non-observant" -- the whole "women are in the kitchen while the men pray" thing was a pretty big shock the first time i went there with a more conservative friend!!!!!!)
  • Dean JDean J College Rep Posts: 4,450 Senior Member
    What great timing...I just got out of a meeting with Rabbi Jake Rubin. The Brody Jewish Center (that's our Hillel) website and blog will have plenty of good info.

In addition to the Jewish student groups, there are a couple of fraternities that are traditionally Jewish and there is a Jewish sorority coming in the next year.

Get this: Per capital, UVa sends more students on the Taglit-Birthright trip than any other school in the country. Hillel is also sponsoring Alternative Spring Break trips.

They are renovating their building, too. They'll soon have a dining room that can fit 120 people.

Home - Brody Jewish Center at the University of Virginia
  • hazelorbhazelorb Registered User Posts: 3,238 Senior Member
    FYI Jake Rubin is Reconstructionist... Talk about liberal ;) My mom knows him from when he was at RRC getting ordained (Philly is a small city... But my family is Reconstructionist) but I still haven't met him yet!!
This discussion has been closed.