Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do you like UVA?

2»

Replies to: How do you like UVA?

• hoyasaxa1hoyasaxa1 - Posts: 175 Junior Member
    Dean J, could you comment on UVa adminstration's analysis of the recent unfortunate events and how to improve UVa's environment and change/address the campus culture that has contributed to these events?
  • powderpuffpowderpuff Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    Amen, Dean J!

But to get back on track with OP's request about The University
    Things I like:
    -the Grounds are drop-dead gorgeous
    -the Colonnades are hypnotizing
    -the Corner is a lot of fun
    -tail gating before football games is a Hoot :)
    -I love living at the Grand Marc right behind the Corner (I'm a 4th year)
    -I love my major and really feel mentored by the faculty. As Dean J says, the education truly has been a "hook" for me. Now that I'm in my last year here, I'll have to relish everyday at Mr. Jefferson's University.
    -the Greek life added very much to my undergraduate experience. It's not for everyone, but I love meeting people and having structured non-academic things to do.
    -great mix of weather scenarios>>gorgeous fall, mild winter with some light snow, spectacular springs. Hot summers, but there's a pool at my apartment!!

Things I don't like:
    -I've gotten a few university parking tickets that I thought were unfair, but I paid them
    -student health is sort of ok at best IMHO, but I've learned that if you need to see a doctor, non-urgently, then make an appointment within the med. school, if it's urgent then go to the ER. That's just my experience.
    -SIS is a little odd (that's how one picks their classes and such), but I'm getting used to it.

Hope this helps in your decision making OP. I'm frankly drawing a blank on the negatives, but could go on and on with the positives :) that's a good sign.
  • hazelorbhazelorb Registered User Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    So all of those things are discussed in the previously referenced "Things I love About UVA!!!" threads. But I will touch on them quickly
    I have to agree...I was expecting to read comments about student self governance, clubs & orgs, and maybe a little discussion of the Honor Code.
    -self governance: it actually exists here, to the point that it irks the faculty sometimes haha.
    -clubs: there are 500+ clubs, UVA is a great state school
    -honor: oh boy do not get me started. i will refrain and tell you to search for threads...

And re powder, (1) ughhhh parking and (2) actually I love student health!! I get my allergy shots there all of the time, and when I ended up with some stomach problems this summer they were GREAT.
  • Dean JDean J College Rep Posts: 4,481 Senior Member
    Oh Hazel, I hope you didn't feel obligated to address those things. I just wasn't expecting a non-student chiming in in such a strange way! :)
  • thealbatrossthealbatross - Posts: 272 Junior Member
    I can't offer much to the thread since I'm not a student, but when I visited UVa, it was absolutely amazing and if I wasn't lucky enough to get in PA to Ross, I would definitely be living in Charlottesville right now.

Basically what everyone's said before, the campus is beautiful. No joke, every building is amazing. One thing you do notice is the amount of people running around exercising (I swear everyone was in shape haha) and there is a ridiculously high amount of attractive girls (can't comment on the guys since I wasn't looking haha but I'm sure its the same?). I really couldn't find anything I didn't like - everyone was really nice, it seemed like a great fit, and I knew I probably would've loved it there.

The two things (though extremely minor) that I guess could be negatives (even though they don't matter, really) were the amount of bees (I have an irrational fear of bees. Like people are afraid of them, but I take it to another whole level haha.) It wasn't that there were a ton of them or some inordinate amount, and I didn't even have a problem, it's just that I noticed it. But its probably because of the greenery/plants around campus. Also, it was pretty hot the day I went, but then again I wasn't dressed for the weather (I was in jeans and my UVa hoodie :) whereas everyone else was in shorts/shirts). But other than that it was awesome, a truly great university imho.
  • cyborg939cyborg939 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    Other than the virtual fisticuff that took place in the middle of the thread, thanks for all the great info! I would love to hear some more! I am an out-of-state student, so UVa is a bit out-of-the-way when it comes to getting opinions from friends, high school alum, etc. I got the info packet in the mail, so I'm looking at that as I'm reading the replies on this thread.
2»
This discussion has been closed.