Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Insight to Statistics classes

AbideForeverAbideForever Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
edited May 2011 in University of Washington
I am weighing the option of taking a statistics class instead of a calculus class next fall. What are the pros and cons of going on this route? I've done a year of calculus so I would probably have no trouble with the class, but I want a change of pace math-wise. Thankfully I know some basic statistics as well, so it shouldn't be too bad.

How are the stat classes at UW-- any profs to avoid (I can't find many on rankmyprofessor.com)? Would you suggest STAT 220 Basic Statistics or STAT 311 Elements of Statistical Methods?
Post edited by AbideForever on

Replies to: Insight to Statistics classes

• speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    The pros and cons are pretty individual, in my opinion. We can't really give you pros/cons without knowing what majors you are considering. Are you planning on taking calculus after statistics? Are you just taking statistics just because? A bit of background information would be helpful so we can give you the best feedback!
  • AbideForeverAbideForever Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I am considering bioengineering, biochemistry, and statistics (I know UW is really strong in stats and biostats, which seems like an interesting specialty to me). If I end up going on the stats route, I know I'll take math regardless.

I guess another question is if it is advantageous to take stats even if it doesn't fill requirements for applying to a major?
  • just4ivaylojust4ivaylo Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    I took AP Statistics in high school. While it's only an introduction into the field, I find that it's extremely useful for many different applications in life. Everything that you learn is applicable to something, whereas this is not the case with Precalculus or Calculus.
  • soIarissoIaris Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Calculus is as useful as any other field in mathematics, you just have to know where it can be applied.
This discussion has been closed.