Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can they "make" you graduate before you want to?

bitsyblattbitsyblatt Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited May 2011 in University of Washington
I'm in high school. The other day my teacher told me that her friend, who is a professor at the UW, was telling her that taking too many AP classes can actually put you at a disadvantage when it comes to the UW because you'll have to graduate before you want to. Is this actually something that happens? I want to spend the normal 4 years in college but I have a lot of transfer credit from running start so I'm a bit worried.
Post edited by bitsyblatt on

Replies to: Can they "make" you graduate before you want to?

  • sepheerothsepheeroth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Depending on how many credits you have you might want to think about doing a double major/degree. If the normal 4 years is important enough to you to spend the extra money you can get your money's worth.
  • U.W. StudentU.W. Student Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    Yes, they definitely can. You get a hold on your registration after 180 credits -- Satisfactory Progress You can petition to take more classes but they can say no if they want. Normally if you are doing a good job (not failing, etc) they will grant your petition but with the budget cuts, this may change.
  • U.W. StudentU.W. Student Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I reread your post a little more closely. Sorry -- but if you are coming in with lots of credits, you will probably not be able to stay the whole four years. I also did Running Start and I entered with 84 transfer credits and 25 AP credits and I have had to fight tooth and nail to stay here for three years. I am getting two degrees (a BA & a BS) so that's the only reason why I got to stay for three years. If you are only getting one degree, then you will probably have to finish within two years (or maybe two and a half).
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Agree with UW Student. If you double major, throw in a minor, show the advisors/registration that you have a plan to graduate (show what classes you plan on taking, etc) then you shouldn't have too much trouble. However, if you are only single majoring, that might be an issue.

    That being said, there are some people who are close to hitting 300 credits, double major + a degree-ing, who have to work with advisors all the time to make sure they don't get 'kicked out'. It'll be tedious, and at times very frustrating, but not impossible to have a TON of credits.
  • U.W. StudentU.W. Student Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    And I should clarify that you would probably have to do a double degree (not just a double major) in order to get more leeway in terms of credits. To do a double degree the minimum number of credits that you need is 225 -- for a double major it's still just 180.
  • sat9109sat9109 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    depends on your major, most of the engineering departments will also force you to graduate after 2 years (once you started your upper division courses)
This discussion has been closed.