Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Gay Scene at UW/Seattle

AbideForeverAbideForever Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
edited May 2011 in University of Washington
Next year I am going to be a freshman at UW and am wondering how welcoming of a community it is. I hail from the Seattle area so I have picked up the general liberal vibe of the school, but I want more of a real account rather than "its a liberal school".

I was wondering what the gay scene at UW is like. Where is it the easiest to meet other gay/like minded people on campus? What are the major organizations/clubs on campus for LGBT people?

I know Capitol Hill is a really gay friendly part of Seattle, but I really want to stay away from the party/drug/hookup scene of Capitol Hill. Are there are any awesome social justice programs around there?
Post edited by AbideForever on

Replies to: Gay Scene at UW/Seattle

• bothellcougarbothellcougar Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    okay honestly i have nothing agaisnt gays or anything, its nothing personal at all but i really dont think this is the best place to be asking around where to meet other gay guys.
  • AbideForeverAbideForever Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I never implied I want to meet people for hooking up. I have never been inclined to do that and definitely won't be like that at school. I am just wanting to meet other like minded people because there is obviously a scarcity in high school. And I think this is an appropriate place to discuss this seeing as though it is a college site.
  • rubberducky3rubberducky3 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I'm not gay myself, but I completely agree with abideforever's question. It's totally valid, and if there's any place to ask about it, it would make sense to ask here.
  • U.W. StudentU.W. Student Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I am not gay myself but I have some gay friends. As far as I know they have a fairly easy time meeting like-minded people. There is at least one gay frat that has pretty good parties and there are also nightclubs not too far from campus (Neighbours in Capitol Hill)

I guess there are a couple of LGBT clubs at UW? -- http://depts.washington.edu/sao/rso_search_results.php?search=name&words=LGBT&find=words&submit=Search -- As far as how popular they are or how many members I really don't know.
  • AbideForeverAbideForever Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Thanks, this is the type of stuff I was looking for! It has been difficult trying to locate club pages/activities.
  • aspire2011aspire2011 Registered User Posts: 505 Junior Member
    Most LGBT or GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) groups have a pretty good showing of people, so there shouldn't be much of an issue finding a network like that on campus.

Also, kudos to you for asking that question. I was wondering about that, too =)
This discussion has been closed.