Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why are so many people applying as a safety?

2»

Replies to: Why are so many people applying as a safety?

• sumzupsumzup Registered User Posts: 799 Member
    UW was my safety, and here I am. *shrugs*
  • MoooahMoooah Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    to add to that... I've a National Merit, Valedictorian schoolmate who'll becoming here in the fall. He got in to UPenn, Berkely, Davis, UChicago, etc. but ultimately decided to come to the UW instead. And UW was his safety....
  • EskimokelsEskimokels Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I think everyone should have a safety school, especially if applying to big schools like Berkeley and UChicago. Admissions are unpredictible, and after all, I'd rather end up at my safety than a community college in the off chance all my top choices are denied.

If a student doesn't want to go to UW after being accepted, I wouldn't say that they're "taking a spot away" from a prospective student. After all, after their spot is cancelled, it may be given to a waitlisted student who wants to go there just as much. It does sound annoying, especially for those of us who are just dying to go to UW, but after all, UW does admit more than they have room for, and you can't expect everyone to accept their place there.
2»
This discussion has been closed.