Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why are so many people applying as a safety?

UDUBHUSKIESUDUBHUSKIES Registered User Posts: 751 Member
edited July 2012 in University of Washington
No disrespect, but all of you people applying that are also applying to Georgetown, Berkeley, and those schools, and probably wouldn't be going to UDUB anyways. So, what I'm wondering is, why do you apply then, knowing that you might be taking away someone else's dream of going to UDUB? Once again, no disrespect meant.
Post edited by UDUBHUSKIES on

Replies to: Why are so many people applying as a safety?

• uwdreameruwdreamer Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    wow, you took the words right out of my mouth..
  • floridadad55floridadad55 Registered User Posts: 2,262 Senior Member
    Even most top students cannot count on getting into a top 20 school.

Further, a state's flagship university is a logical safety school.

Many people will reason, "if I don't get into a top 20 school, then I might as well to the state flagship university".
  • UDUBHUSKIESUDUBHUSKIES Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    of course, I guess that since the yield rate is so low, that's a blessing in disguise, so maybe it's not such a bad thing. so, it would be like having less impressive applicants with a lower admit rate.
  • seatacseatac Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    I wouldn't worry about this too much. First of all, like it was said - not everyone with top stats will get into his or her first choice. Second of all, the UW always sends out more offers that it has empty spots. So, those who got into their first choices would reject the offer. That's also what waitlists are for - to fill those spaces that have freed up. My main point is that everything eventually evens out. People with high stats create competition, and that is great. If the UW wasn't so competitive I doubt it would have its current prestige.
    Does uw do ED, EA, rolling admission?

The admission application for uw doesn't change right? ( considering getting it done during the summer :/ )

When does UW post the essay prompts for freshmen 2013?

Does UW inquire about 1st semester gpa of senior year?
    to my knowledge
    UW does not do ED, EA, or Rolling Admission. They pool all the applications, and only do RD
    I don't think it changes. I'm doing it right now, too.
    I don't know when they post the prompts, probably in September or October
    I don't believe they look at 1st semester of Senior Year except to look at what classes you took.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    Yes, they pool applicants.

They stopped doing rolling admissions a few years ago.
  • nana17nana17 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    sometimes, other factors are involved in such a decision. i applied to Berkeley and got in, but due to financial issues and residency problems, i decided to go to UW, which is a great school as well.
    uwdreamer, i e-mailed admissions. they said that the prompts are going up October 1st, 2012. They will notify us at that time if the prompts change.
    thanks! im gonna start filling out my application and essay.
    I believe the uw is switching to the common app this fall, so take this into account.
    what do you mean by common app? and how do you know?
    Oops. Looks like the Senate only passed a resolution recommending switching to the common app: ASUW recommends UW switch to common app | The Daily
    so its still the same app on the site right? i totally think uw shouldn't hitch the wagon... I think UW's distinct application helps give students the opportunity to express themselves with their own colors.
    yah, i agree. plus, then there are less applicants competing.
This discussion has been closed.