Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Late A&O and Placement Tests?

2012Dreaming2012Dreaming Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited June 2012 in University of Washington
I have my A&O on July 16th/17th, am I screwed for signing up for the more popular classes?

Also, I've been hearing a lot about Math Placement Tests and such. Are they mandatory and what purpose do they serve?
Post edited by 2012Dreaming on

Replies to: Late A&O and Placement Tests?

• speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    What classes are you planning on signing up for? There will probably be a few spots but in far away classrooms (ie. quiz section in fisheries) or less than desired times (8:30am). Also, there will be spots probably still free for people who plan on joining a FIG. In some intro classes, there will be spots saved specifically for FIG students.

Placement tests - Check out the UW Advising page for placement tests: UW Advising - Placement Tests

If you're planning on going into a major/track that requires math, UW needs a way to figure out what level math you're in. It's not required - there are some ways you can be placed into math classes without taking the test. Check the page for more information.
  • 2012Dreaming2012Dreaming Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    It's been awhile, speedsolver. Helpful as always ;).

I was thinking of Chem, Pre-calc, and English Comp.

And it does look like I'll have to take a placement test, so from what I gather, the upside of doing well would be placing in a more advanced course and going throught the math series quicker?

And from what this page http://www.washington.edu/oea/services/testing_center/exams/summer_advising_orientation.html it looks like I just have to show up at the assigned room the morning of A&O?
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    I'm going to assume that you're going for the first intro to chem course. I may be mistaken, but I think English comp is only available in a FIG for fall quarter (except for 1-2 classes, which are closed by now). If you're okay with a FIG (lots of pros and cons, check the other threads for everyone's input on it :D), then you could probably grab a English comp/Intro Chem FIG.

Depending on what you plan on majoring in, finishing certain math classes will open up more classes for you since sometimes they're prerequisites. However, if you don't feel ready for a more advanced class, please take your time with the courses! :)

Hm, don't listen to that page. Check out this instead: Undergraduate Placement Exams - Onsite Testing - Testing Center - Services - Office of Educational Assessment

Basically from M-Th, you can take the placement test. Monday/Thursday is the first day for A&O every week, so that's why the test is in the morning right before orientation starts. A lot of people just take it the morning of the first day of their A&O. Go a bit early and sign up via walk in. You don't have to contact the math department. There are instructions on the link in this post and I think you can find practice questions as well.
This discussion has been closed.