Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances of getting in?

LiversnailsLiversnails Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
edited July 2012 in University of Washington
I am a High School Senior
I had been slacking off in my freshman and sophomore years. I had a 1.8 gpa(1.7 and 1.9). In my junior and senior years i took AP Macroeconomics, AP US History, AP Calculus, AP Computer Science as well as IB Higher Level Physics and IB Standard Level Mandarin. I had a 3.8 gpa in my last two years and my gpa is now a 2.8. I have a 2100 SAT( I got a 700 on each of the tests). I had 4s and 5s on my APs, I also got 6s and 7s on my IBs. I joined two clubs for two years and racked up 600 hours of volunteer work. I can speak 3 languages(English, Mandarin and Indonesian). I was also on the Varsity Basketball team at my High School. I plan on double majoring in computer science and marketing. What are my chances of getting into UW?
Post edited by Liversnails on

Replies to: What are my chances of getting in?

• 2012Dreaming2012Dreaming Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    You seem to be fine except for your overall GPA... which honestly might hurt you quite a bit.

Did you try and explain the growth/maturity you achieved during your Junior/Senior years in your application essays?
  • LiversnailsLiversnails Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I did mention that I had matured from my sophomore to junior year and that was when I started coming into my own. I also found out that only 1% of students have below a 3.0 gpa but I was wondering since I had a 3.8 my last two years would I be moved up a couple of categories into the 3.25-3.49 gpa range when they deliberate?
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Your GPA may hurt you but it's a huge improvement from freshman/sophomore years to after that. That will definitely catch their eye. I don't think you'll be "moved up" categories, but they'll really look at that upward trend.

Good job on getting things together :) Remember that they don't look just at grades but at your overall application. I'd actually wager a guess that you have an okay chance (given the GPA) if you write great essays and really show yourself in your extra curricular activity blurbs.
This discussion has been closed.