Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Laptop for Pre Engineering Student

AZMOM2AZMOM2 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited July 2012 in University of Washington
Apple or PC? What brands and models would you recommend?
Post edited by AZMOM2 on

Replies to: Laptop for Pre Engineering Student

• seatacseatac Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    What are your needs and budget?
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Echoing what seatac said.

Remember that under 'needs' that includes things like gaming or media editing. :)
  • ME0891ME0891 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    It really depends on your needs.

For my situation, I already have a laptop but it's huge and is about four years old. I plan on buying a smaller laptop that I can carry around with me and use in class. Also, I do not like Apples because I believe they are overpriced and my Toshiba laptop has worked perfectly fine these past couple of years and is still going strong.
  • AZMOM2AZMOM2 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Do students have time to play games :-)? Budgeting about $1000 for a laptop. Looking for a computer that can function for the homework for a BioE major hopeful. Thanks!
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    With that price range, Apple is out.

Toshiba is a good way to go pc wise.
  • seatacseatac Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    I certainly wouldn't go with Apple. I don't know the details, but most likely the vast majority of software that you might have to use won't have versions for Apple.

In terms of the brand, I would recommend you Toshiba just like two people above. It's been proven to be quite reliable and good for its price. According to SquareTrade, a company that provides warranties, Toshiba and Asus laptops are the most reliable (http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf - the data is relatively old, but I believe that not much has changed). Reliability is very important for a student.

Hard to say anything in terms of a particular model because there are so many of them. Anything in the price range of $600-750 should work for you. If I were you, I would just go by reviews on websites. And don't forget to add additional RAM to it - RAM today is very cheap, but can significantly improve performance.

Also don't forget that you can get some software (Office, for example) for free: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-washington/1359155-any-useful-campus-tips-tricks-current-uw-students.html
This discussion has been closed.