Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances (international student) and Scholarships

cleverpuppycleverpuppy Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
edited August 2012 in University of Washington
Hi.
I'm an international student. I've finished grade 10. I LOVE this university a lot! I mean i have dreamt about entering it for my whole life. But I heard that the scholarships are few. Besides, the admission is very difficult.

10th grade:
- GPA: 3.79/4
- SAT Score: 1870
- Wining a movie competition.
- Leader of a charity program for orphans.
- A member of the Green School program.
- A journalist for school newspapers.
- A manager and an editor in the class' media team.
- Radio announcer at school.

These are my scores and my extracurricular activities so far. I know it's early to decide but can you guys tell me the chances and give me some advice? How to make my application good and impressive enough? I decide to retake SAT Test on October. However as I read reviews about UW on **************s, the average SAT score is between 1600-1970. I REALLY need advice from students who attend at schools, especially those who get scholarships and are international students.

Thanks in advance! Please help me, and we can contact sometimes. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by cleverpuppy on

Replies to: Chances (international student) and Scholarships

• cleverpuppycleverpuppy Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    anyone?
    Please, i need your help.
  • seatacseatac Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    You might find it extremely difficult to get a scholarship. You have to be pretty much exceptional to get one. The reasons are: 1) The majority of scholarships are need-based and/or for US citizens/residents only 2) The number of scholarships without limitations is extremely small, especially in public universities.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    Scholarships for international students are pretty close to non-existent.
    Thank you. But do you know any international student who got scholarships?
    No.
    10char.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Most international students I know with scholarships received them from an educational program from their country, including Singapore and Malaysia. Everyone else I know either has found a way to pay their own way or their parents are in a financially stable position enough to send them here.

I'm not sure if there's something kind of like a national program for scholarships (X Country Scholars Program) in your country. It's worth some research though.
    Thanks for your help again :).
  • nbr000nbr000 Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    There's another forum here (Financial Aid) which I've been checking for a while, and from what I've seen, I don't think there's a lot of scholarships for state university students, international or otherwise.
    I know but UW doesn't offer a lot. UW likes international students but the tuition for them is like crazy. If you happen to know anyone who is in UW and has scholarships or whatever, please let me know.
    Thank you!
    uw likes international students BECAUSE of the high tuition.

we need the $$ international/out of state students provide
  • seatacseatac Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    The tuition is "crazy", but it's lower than in most private colleges and other public universities.
    Thanks for the helpful information. Anyway, I will try my best.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.