right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

S.i.m.u.w.

crazymomstercrazymomster 1677 replies195 threads Senior Member
edited November 2012 in University of Washington
Summer Institute for Mathematics at the University of Washington

The Summer Institute for Mathematics at UW is an outstanding 6 week, free math program for those who are interested. If I remember correctly, an applicant needs to have finished Alg 2. The program is selective for 5? states in the PNW.

My S attended this program after his freshman year which was really a life changing experience for him. For the first time, he saw the beauty of math, but had a lot of fun too. He continued to meet his fellow SIMUW attendees at various competitions throughout the remainder of his high school career which was always a good thing :-).

He also attended RSI (at MIT), as did at least one other SIMUW attendee.

He was also accepted to some of the top schools in the US and even one of his acceptance letters had a personalized note mentioning SIMUW specifically.

Application deadline is March 1, but the sooner the better.

If you have any further questions, please PM me (I doubt I'll check out this forum any time soon).
edited November 2012
2 replies
Post edited by crazymomster on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: S.i.m.u.w.

• jungahjungah 130 replies15 threads Junior Member
    Awesome program! Loved it.
    It's limited to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and BC students.

The Algebra 2 requirement (if it is one) is misleading - completing a regular public school alg 2 class would mean a summer of drowning in math. You'll need a solid background of studying math outside of school. It's not so much the 'level' of math (calculus is not covered) but the 'depth' of understanding instead.

If you're even remotely interested, check out their website and look over the entrance problems.
    · Reply · Share
  • crazymomstercrazymomster 1677 replies195 threads Senior Member
    I checked, and it's not specifically Algebra 2, it's 3 years of high school math. For my S, he had these finished before he entered high school :-).

I don't think that this year's application is up yet, so there are no problems there yet.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity