right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Exceeding Word Count on Essay?

Nin10dude317Nin10dude317 314 replies25 threads Member
edited February 2013 in University of Washington
I'm applying as a transfer student, and I'm currently at 1110 words (of a 750-1000 word suggestion).

How firm is this limit? The app says to "Be concise, but tell the whole story even if you need a little more space." I do cover quite a few topics in my essay, and I would like to say that I am an adequate writer, but I don't want to appear as someone that ignored the suggestion.
edited February 2013
2 replies
Post edited by Nin10dude317 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Exceeding Word Count on Essay?

• SoDoMojoSoDoMojo 208 replies14 threads Junior Member
    It's only a recommended limit, not a strict guideline.

110 words is a decent bit over though. I would cut it down a little. 1000 words should be more than enough to write a good essay. There is no reason to risk anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • shaemusshaemus 49 replies10 threads Junior Member
    That much over is fine. I spoke to one of the counselors at the UW admissions office, and she said that they place that suggested limit so they don't get essays at 2000-3000 words (but they still do). I sent in mine at about 1120 and when I told her that my PS was that long, she said it wouldn't be a problem.

As long as you are using those words to be efficient and conducive to conveying the message you want to convey, don't worry.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity