Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Exceeding Word Count on Essay?

Nin10dude317Nin10dude317 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
edited February 2013 in University of Washington
I'm applying as a transfer student, and I'm currently at 1110 words (of a 750-1000 word suggestion).

How firm is this limit? The app says to "Be concise, but tell the whole story even if you need a little more space." I do cover quite a few topics in my essay, and I would like to say that I am an adequate writer, but I don't want to appear as someone that ignored the suggestion.
Post edited by Nin10dude317 on

Replies to: Exceeding Word Count on Essay?

• SoDoMojoSoDoMojo Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    It's only a recommended limit, not a strict guideline.

110 words is a decent bit over though. I would cut it down a little. 1000 words should be more than enough to write a good essay. There is no reason to risk anything.
  • shaemusshaemus Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    That much over is fine. I spoke to one of the counselors at the UW admissions office, and she said that they place that suggested limit so they don't get essays at 2000-3000 words (but they still do). I sent in mine at about 1120 and when I told her that my PS was that long, she said it wouldn't be a problem.

As long as you are using those words to be efficient and conducive to conveying the message you want to convey, don't worry.
This discussion has been closed.