Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me?

cindiUWcindiUW Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
So basically I'm a in-state student who has a 5.6 GPA, due to the mass amount of Advanced Placement (AP) and honors/advance courses that I took. I got a 1630 SAT Score.
I have been Editor-In-Chief of the student newspaper at my school for two years, Renaissance Action Team Leader (Freshman oreientation leader), National Honor Society Member, I work at a State Agency (for the last two years), Freshman VP Freshman year, CTE Student of the Month for 3 years, I've been in a local newspaper for my accomplishments, and I've been told my essays were one of the best that my teacher has read.
Honestly, I'm super nervous that I won't get in. I'm banking on the fact that I'm ethnically different and both my parents haven't gone to college.
March is coming so fast! In a mere two weeks we'll all find out...

Thanks.
Post edited by cindiUW on

Replies to: Chance me?

• absurdwombatabsurdwombat Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    It's not possible to have above a 4.0 in Washington state; Washington high schools cannot weight GPAs. (I'm not sure if private schools can.) Needless to say, your SAT is very low for UW and I think it's hard to say what your chances are. I believe it will come down to personal statements and the quality of applicants this year.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    It's possible to have above a 4.0 in Washington public schools (and private, though I don't know of any in the Seattle area that use a 6.0 scale). However, UW only considers the unweighted GPA on a 4.0 scale (but takes course choices into consideration).

OP: What's your *unweighted* GPA (APs/Honors weighted on 4.0)? Also, I agree with absurdwombat - your SAT is really low for UW.

It looks like you're pretty well rounded and while UW cannot solely look at your ethnicity/first to go to college factors for admissions (you said you were banking on that), if you wrote really good essays, you would have a chance for admission.
  • MSNDISMSNDIS Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    According to WAC 392-415-050 the GPAs for Washington public high schools need to be determined as indicated in the WAC: WAC 392-415-050: Grade reporting and calculation system.

This WAC states how GPA is determined: WAC 392-415-055: Definition ? Grade point average.

There is no option for weighting the grades. If any public high schools in Washington do it, I assume the official transcript has unweighted GPA listed since that appears to the be law.
  • triseradadtriseradad Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    Actually, UW is barred by state law from using ethnicity as an admissions factor.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    MSNDIS: Ah, the schools must just be using the weighted GPAs for internal use (ie. valedictorian, etc). I know the students definitely use unweighted GPAs for college admissions, but I had assumed that was a given across the board since colleges generally as k for unweighted GPAs (unless things have changed...).
  • cindiUWcindiUW Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Sorry I meant 3.6
  • UDUBHUSKIESUDUBHUSKIES Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    a 3.6 is OK for UW, although a bit low, but unfortunately with your SAT, which is low, it will look out of balance (the GPA and SAT don't match up).
This discussion has been closed.