right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

chances for chances?

cassquicassqui 31 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
Hi, all - I'm waiting rather impatiently to hear back from UW. My high school has never sent anyone there before, so I don't have any sort of precedent to compare to.

OOS (Philadelphia, PA) at a magnet public school
GPA: 4.96/5.0 (all A's except 1 B+ junior year)
ACT: 34
SAT IIs: 790 Chemistry, 780 US History, 780 Math II
APs: 5 Chemistry, 5 English Language, 5 APUSH, 4 Music Theory. Will take BC Calc, English Lit, and Gov this year.
ECs: stage crew & lighting for shows, editor-in-chief of humor section for school newspaper, in charge of Twitter/Facebook/outreach for school newspaper, director of a cappella group, member of another a cappella group, NHS
Job experience: have worked since age 13 - grocery store cashier in summers, teach 6th grade Hebrew School, editor-in-chief of newsletter for local nonprofit, tutor chemistry, Latin, and math. Retail/barista/waitress experience. Used to work at Penn Chemistry lab.
Worked at Penn Material Sciences lab last summer + took classes as an undergrad for credits. Taking education courses for college credits and to get teaching certification for religious school.
Applying to UW for chemistry.

Thoughts? Let me know and I'll love you forever / chance you back / anything your heart desires. Thank you!!
edited March 2013
4 replies
Post edited by cassqui on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: chances for chances?

• sumzupsumzup 782 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 799 Member
    Your stats are great. I would be very surprised if you weren't admitted.

Out of curiosity, what interests you about UW and how did you find out about it?
    · Reply · Share
  • cassquicassqui 31 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    sumzup, I love chemistry and UW's department is very highly ranked. I also want to go to a state school because of the available research money, the population of people who aren't just there because of the name (I go to a school that judges its worth by how many Ivy League kids it has, and I'm tired of the name-brand nonsense), and the lower tuition - I have to pay my own way through school, but I won't qualify for financial aid because my family is well-off. I'm also attracted to UW because it's so far away and the mentality is so different from that of East Coast eliteness.
    · Reply · Share
  • swishbigswishbig 125 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Can someone chance me?

UW gpa 3.69
    SAT: 1680 510CR 580M 590W
    APUSH, AP Euro, AP Eng 4
    Eng Honors 1,2,3, Bio honors, world his honors, pre-calc honors, algebra 2 honors, chem honors
    Tennis for 4 years, NHS member, tutor, church volunteer, key club member
    Pretty good essays
    In state
    · Reply · Share
  • cassquicassqui 31 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    swishbig, I don't know enough about UW to give you a real chance but based on what I've seen you should be okay. Your SAT is on the lower end of - but still within - the middle 50% and you're in-state, with a decent GPA. I'd say you have a good shot! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity