Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Academic Rigor of UW?

missdeeceemissdeecee Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited October 2013 in University of Washington
Hi all,
I'm applying to UW this fall and I would like to hear about the academic rigor at UW. I attend a competitive public high school (top 50) where numbers are everything and frankly it is a rather disheartening if not poisonous environment. Teachers are not that great either.

I don't particularly want to attend a school where it'll be a repeat of my high school. I don't want to be stuck in my room from afternoon to midnight studying 7 days a week.

While I am not an All-As-Forever-And-Always snob I am disappointed in myself the few times I get Bs. I want to attend a school where the amount of work I put in will give me good results. I have good study habits and am willing to put in the time, but As mentioned before I don't particularly want to have to spend hours and hours in order to get an A.

Thanks for your time!
Post edited by missdeecee on

Replies to: Academic Rigor of UW?

• missdeeceemissdeecee Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Oh, and if it helps any I'm a prospective English major looking to law school for the future. However Id appreciate responses for within my projected major as well as the general academic trends here. Thank you again!
  • PrincipessaAnnaPrincipessaAnna Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    I'm in the Arts & Sciences and though I am only a couple of weeks in, I don't find UW to be any more rigorous than other schools I have attended (including community colleges and other 4-year universities). I'm taking 15 credits and I do 30 hours in addition to class time. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with all As.

I imagine that it really depends on your major and the kind of courses you are taking. Pre-Med and/or STEM courses might be a different story. I think you would be fine as an English major.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    I graduated CC with a 3.92 before moving on to UW where I graduated with a 3.82. I only got A's at both institutions.

I studied hard. Every day. If you don't care too much about your grades, you won't need to study as much.

I am currently in a graduate program at another university.

If you wish to one day go to law school, why don't you major or minor in the Law, Societies, & Justice program? It's not needed for law school..but if you are interested in the topic, it makes sense, no?
  • missdeeceemissdeecee Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @Principessa Anna Thanks for the info!! Helpful, and also reassuring with the last tidbit you added in :)

@travelgirl Thanks to you too!! I agree that if you don't care, it's pretty much a given that you won't study...I plan on studying hard and making the best out of my college experience academically as well as in ec's/internships/general college life. And yes, that does make sense, however I want the analytical aspect that's directed towards literature that comes with being an English major. Both should be good at prepping for the LSAT, no?
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    Well, it won't hurt :) But I don't think a degree in English lit will help you prepare for the LSAT. (My husband whose Bachelor's was in English (before getting a masters in Japanese language/lit) agrees. I, myself am getting a masters in legal studies.

If you want to major in english, go for it. Just don't do it explicitly to help you with the LSAT.
This discussion has been closed.