Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Are my chances for UW over?

SodaPop123SodaPop123 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2013 in University of Washington
Hi, I am a current high school student.
My GPA and SAT Scores are horrible but I really want to attend University of Washington-Seattle.
I am a senior right now, and my standing GPA (unweighted) is :2.9 Weighted: 3.6
And My SAT score is: 1430 (retaking it)

Extracurriculars:
KEY CLUB (treasurer- sophmore year, secretary-Junior) 100+ hours of community service.
C.H.A.N.C.E- (Member) 10 hours of community service
Medical Explorers Club (Chance to see real-life surgeries at hospitals)
Science Olympiad
Mu Alpha Theta (Secretary)
Hackers Club (member)

I know what I do isn't enough, but my english teacher told me my personal statement was stellar. And Udub looks for information about the students along with the academics. I don't want to get my hopes up, though.
Post edited by SodaPop123 on

Replies to: Are my chances for UW over?

• kbrandt94kbrandt94 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I wouldn't put yourself down at all :] Just work hard the rest of your senior year to bring up your GPA. I applied for the winter 2014 and I was home schooled. I did have a GPA of 3.9 but I never took the ACT/SAT. Iv'e seen people with a 4.0 and over 1800 not get in, instead a person with a 3.6 got in. Guess it just depends on what they are looking for. Don't give up though!
  • Candela2Candela2 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    Unfortunately your chances are a little low, with those SAT scores and that GPA. But, don't despair! If you don't get into UW Seattle as a freshman, you can go to a Washington State Community College, do 90 credits/get an AA, and reapply. UW reserves 30% of its transfer spots specifically for Washington CC students, so basically if you do well there (get a 3.6+ GPA) you have an excellent chance of transferring in.

This is not to discourage you in any way (UW does emphasize the personal statement, which is good for you), just letting you know you have a great alternative way to get into UW if you don't get in as a freshman.

Edit to add: Keep in mind that if you are really keen on going to UW Seattle in particular, you should not accept a spot at any of the other UW colleges or any other 4-year college. Applying to transfer to UW Seattle is much more competitive for students already enrolled in 4-year degrees, since UW views it as you already have the opportunity to complete your bachelor where you are. This is because one of UW's transfer criteria is "evidence of a need to transfer", and obviously all CC students have a need to transfer in order to get a Bachelor degree.

Hope this helps!
  • CokeZer0CokeZer0 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    It's over man, I hope you have some good safeties on hand, cause I think you will need them.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's the way it goes, but good news is that as a secondary option, I would try going to a community college, and after a year or two, transfer to the UW (while attaining stellar grades in the process)

Doing that will save you thousands and thousands of dollars, and you may still achieve the goal you had in mind, because trust me, a lot of people transfer from CC's, and it's a great decision.
This discussion has been closed.