Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Calculus at UWS and UWT

Bishop9Bishop9 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited December 2013 in University of Washington
I was wondering if anyone here had taken any of the Math 124, 125, 126 Calculus series at either UW Seattle or UW Tacoma and could talk about what the classes were like, including difficulty etc.
Post edited by Bishop9 on

Replies to: Calculus at UWS and UWT

• MegamindMegamind Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Took 125 this past quarter (Autumn) at UW Seattle and finished with a 3.5 (Average was set at 2.9). From MY experience, the material is very straight forward. If you honestly spend your time figuring out the problems yourself and understand HOW to approach problems, you won't have trouble.

Now, where I messed up was in the stupid arithmetic/careless errors on midterms and exams. They cost me a lot of points so the most important thing I can tell you is: Do whatever you can to avoid mistakes! (read the problem carefully, check arithmetic/signs/ect). Most likely you'll lose points because of mistakes, not because you didn't know how to answer it.

and do as many practice midterms/finals. This is the only way you'll be exposed to a variety of possible questions they can ask you.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    I agree with Megamind. I took 124/5/6 back in Autumn 2010 - Spring 2011, but I doubt the material or exams have changed much. :)
  • BigOto2BigOto2 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I heard that UW doesn't allow calculators on tests and midterms. Can someone confirm that this is true/false? (this won't affect my "first choice" status of the university as a prospective applicant)
  • ulianjayulianjay Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    You can use a calculator, but not one that can graph, take derivatives, or take integrals.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Basically, a "Basic" or "Scientific" calculator with only one line on the screen. I've had teachers allow two lines on the screen of the calculator, but as ulianjay said, they don't want you to use the calculator to actually derive or integrate.
This discussion has been closed.