Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UW Autumn 2014 Transfer Thread

1363738394042»

Replies to: UW Autumn 2014 Transfer Thread

• CaptainManiCaptainMani Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I didn't get in, but since applying I've changed my intended major and I'm heading to SPU this fall. I'm hoping to transfer into UW as soon as I possibly can. I'll be applying every quarter :P I'll admit my personal statement was really, really weak as I hadn't written an essay in about a year because all I took were science and math classes. So I'm going to be working on that. Hopefully I'll do well enough at SPU and they'll reconsider!

Also I have some housing advice! Craigslist is great, but if you're looking to live off campus there's a group on facebook that's called "Housing" and it has you verify that you applied/got accepted to the UW and there's so many people looking for people to fill rooms. It's not hard to find housing around here :)
  • BubonicBubonic Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Man, applied a bit ago and waiting on a letter. When I checked my status it went from finance major to pre-major, must not have completed all the pre reqs but I'm hoping its a good sign because THEY changed it! Who knows, maybe I'll get a good letter in the mail after work
  • UWchancemehUWchancemeh Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    edited October 2014
    Hey everyone!
    Glad to see these different experiences with UW.
    I recently applied to UW Winter 2015 as a transfer.
    In my case, I followed the Washington 45 and applied after 50 credits.
    I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it went?
    I know that my college transcript arrived late (not my fault), so I was told by the admissions office to write an appeal.
    If anyone has written an appeal, what are the chances that they'll even look at it? I was told that it's pretty low.

--->

I applied with a 3.30 GPA with a 4.0 in my most recent pre reqs for Public Health.
    I understand that my GPA is much lower than most transfer applicants, but I had some issues the first few quarters.
    edited October 2014
    @nornorbalina‌
    Hey, I know this post goes a couple months back but I just applied for Winter 2015 and am pretty nervous!
    Did you have to write an appeal regarding your late transcripts? My college transcript arrived a week late and was told that I should write an appeal explaining why it was late.
    Thanks, btw, your GPA gives me hope. I didn't do so well either. 3.30 :/
    Hope UW is treating you well!
    @vivianshmibbian‌ Hey, did you get anything back after writing your appeal? :0
  • uwedu15uwedu15 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    hello, i'm new on this forum.. do you mind telling me what prerequisites courses you took for Public Health?
    Did you take BIOL 241& 242? or AP 103 /104? I'm planning to apply for HIHIM program, they require you to take Human&anatomy courses before entering in the program. And i only took biology 100 and 160.. -___-

Thanks~
    @uwedu15‌

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
    I'm actually NOT a student at UW yet, I applied for Winter 2014 GA, but have yet to hear anything back.

The site for admission to the School of Public Health reads:

-Applicants must complete the following by the application deadline to be considered for admission:
    -Minimum 45 college credits.
    -Minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA.
    -Minimum 2.0 grade in one introductory public health course from the following: ENV H 111, G H 101, HSERV 100, NUTR 300, or one 5-credit course from anthropology (ANTH only), political science, psychology, or sociology (200 level or above recommended)
    -Minimum grade of 2.0 in one introductory science from the following: BIOL 118, BIOL 180, CHEM 120, CHEM 142, CHEM 145, or PHYS 114/PHYS 117

As far as pre-requisites go, I took Political Science 202 and Chemistry 120 and received a 4.0 in both.
    Most of the classes I stated above will have to be taken once if am accepted to the School of Public Health.
    Currently, I am taking Anthropology 202, Chemistry 220, and Communications 101 for a VLPA.
    What year are you? HIHM doesn't seem to have a ton of pre-requisites and seems doable, but if you're interested in PH and have any questions, lmk!
    @UWchancemeh‌ Thank you, I found this link
    For public health major guideline...
    http://admit.washington.edu/apw/SPHAPW-2014.pdf it looks like they don't accept that many transfer from CC only 38 students in 2013. And for HIHIM only 22 from CC. The admission must be very strict or maybe less competitive? I'm not sure. There's a workshop next Wednesday for public health informatics, I need to figure out my requirements for HIHIM. They want to see you take some CIS courses like Information technology in college, but IT courses at my college aren't transferable. Ahh
    edited November 2014
    @uwedu15‌ hard to say. I know a couple transfers that got accepted to PH this year! Yeah, I was going to major in informatics but the CSE classes were way too hard for me. Had to withdraw from one before taking an F. Definitely take it at a CC if you can, I heard CSE 142, which you need for informatics is REALLY hard. My friend had to take it three times before passing with a C, and he's pretty smart. Although they call it an intro class, you need to know quite a bit about JavaScript before entering. Try taking it at a nearby CC different from the one ur at.
    I got in UWB... Soc/ethic/human behavior. I only applied to one location. The unofficial transcript loaded yesterday night, however will it be difficult for me to apply for main campus now? Do I need to address that on my personal statement? Anyone try to transfer from Uwb to Uw Seattle?
    @uwedu15‌

Congrats.
    Yes.
    It will be more difficult to transfer from UWB to UWS than going from a CC to UWS.
    UWB is considered a 4-year institution, therefore making it more difficult to transfer to UWS.
    I have a couple friends that attended UWT and tried to transfer to Seattle but were rejected even on their third attempt.
    However, it is NOT impossible.
    I spoke with an admissions counselor and the reason that they rarely accept 4-year transfers is because they're already receiving a 4-year education. They don't see the "point" in transferring when you're already receiving a higher education.
    If you can provide a legitimate reason for wanting to attend UWS, you may have a shot.
    I HIGHLY recommend that you DON'T attend UWB if UWS is really where you want to go.
    If you don't get in this time around, apply next month when the Fall app opens.
    I don't know how accurate this statement is, but I've been told that there are more spots during the Fall for transfers.
  • sheneicahsheneicah Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello! If any new transfer students are looking for housing for Spring 2015, I am renting my private bedroom because I am moving. I live in a new apartment complex (Varsity Quarters Apartments near Camp Randall and Union South) that are very nice. I am willing to negotiate prices if need be. Please contact me at sheneicahunter@gmail.com to learn more information about the apartment. It is a really good deal!
  • nguyenvuongnguyenvuong Registered User Posts: 33 New Member
    I sent online application ( transfer application) 1 month ago. Couple days ago, I visited myuw site to check my application status and I got this one mgs:
    After giving your application to the UW Tacoma an initial review, we have determined that one or more documents, supporting materials, or additional information are required before further reviewing your application. All required materials must be postmarked by the application closing date for autumn quarter 2015.
    I already sent to uw my current college transcript and shoud I send to uw my official high school transcript? And what happen next?
    IF I have to send my high school transcript, can I send it after Mar 15,2015?
    This is my first time make transfer to uw. Really need help.
    Thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.