Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Computer Science: University of Washington, Seattle Vs. Univ of Texas Austin

azgrad2014azgrad2014 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited December 2013 in University of Washington
I just found out that I got into UT Austin Computer Science Program. I have also applied to Univ. of Washington, Seattle (Udub) for direct admission into Computer Science. I am wondering how the two programs compare. Any insights? (Udub is ranked #7 while UT Austin is ranked #8 - too close to make a call for me).

How about Turing Honors program at UT Austin? That is probably ranked higher then Udub CS program. Is this a correct assumption?
Post edited by azgrad2014 on

Replies to: Computer Science: University of Washington, Seattle Vs. Univ of Texas Austin

• UWHuskyDadUWHuskyDad Registered User Posts: 279 Junior Member
    Congratulations, azgrad2014. I heard Turing Honors is a fantastic program and I don't think there is anything equivalent at UW. I think it all comes down to whether you want to spend four years at Austin or Seattle.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Congrats on the acceptance to UT!

I'm in the UW CSE program and my best friend is a CS major at UT Austin (+Turing Scholar/Honors). We're both seniors. What specifics would help you decide between the two programs?

In terms of both research, industry, and academia opportunities, there are a vast range of paths you can go at either school. Do you know if you have a specific area (ie. distributed systems) that you're interested in? It's totally fine if you don't - I didn't figure out what I was interested in until the past year or so.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want; I check my email notifications more often than the forum itself. :)
  • sumzupsumzup Registered User Posts: 799 Member
    I've been told by a UT alum that he thinks there are more startups recruiting at UW than UT, but beyond that, I suspect they are largely similar. You can't make a wrong choice here.
  • KosherBaconKosherBacon Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    As a Seattle-ite (that's what some of us call ourselves), both are great options. I too applied for CS at both, and have still yet to hear back (RD). Seattle is a wonderful city, and the UW is in a fantastic location. I can only say positive things thus far. In terms of their programs, they are both top ranking and either will give you a fantastic education, though I do carry a bit of a west-coast bias.
This discussion has been closed.