right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Getting a 4.0 in Weeder Classes?

Coriander23Coriander23 1070 replies47 threads Senior Member
Hi there!

I'm an incoming UW freshman this fall and was wondering about how difficult it would be to get A's in weeder classes like Chem 142 or Biol 180. If I were to take both in one (fall) quarter as well as Stats 220, do you think that would be manageable?

Also, are there ever any issues with space availability for these classes?

Thanks so much in advance!
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Getting a 4.0 in Weeder Classes?

• speedsolverspeedsolver 1903 replies16 threads Senior Member
    @Coriander23: It depends on the course and how much effort you're going to put into it.

I don't know about Chem 142, but Biol 180 has a guaranteed 4.0 if you score in the top 10% of the class. For courses like CSE 142, you're guaranteed a 4.0 if you get above a 98.7% (that number has been burned into my head from when I took the course, but perhaps it has changed). There's usually a slight curve, so a 4.0 in CSE 142 might be everyone above a 97% instead.

I don't know anything about Stats 220.

These classes are usually really full, and if your orientation is at the end of the summer, you'll most likely not get into the courses. However, there's a text notification system that was recently launched that you can take advantage of; it'll text you when a class you're 'watching' has a spot open. Lab courses, like CHEM 142/BIOL 180 usually do NOT take more students than listed since there's a lab component and there are only so many workstations. Some courses, like CSE 142, will take more students than listed; advisors try to work in students while making sure they don't overflow the room because of fire hazard guidelines.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity