Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much does UW look at ACT scores vs GPA vs Essay vs Extra curriculars?

Vrael101Vrael101 Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
Since I came to my school (in Texas) in the middle of freshman year, I didn't do that well, but have improved significantly since then (Freshman:3, Sophomore: 3.85, Junior: 4.5) and got a decent ACT score (32). Combined with my long list of extra curriculars and extensively peer-reviewed essay, will my GPA weigh me down much?

Replies to: How much does UW look at ACT scores vs GPA vs Essay vs Extra curriculars?

• SecretMalamuteSecretMalamute Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    UW only looks at unweighted GPA so the max is 4.0
    If your UW GPA is a rising trend then I think UW looks good upon that.
  • UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    @Vrael101, Washington's Common Data Set states that in making admissions decisions, rigor of secondary school record, academic GPA, and application essays are "very important," and standardized test scores, ECs, talent/ability, first generation, volunteer work, and work experience are "important." Also "considered" in making admissions decisions are character/personal qualities and state residency.

The Common Data Set reports the unweighted GPA of enrolled freshmen in 2016 as follows:

3.75 to 4.00: 65.40%
    3.50 to 3.74: 25.96%
    3.25 to 3.49: 6.20%
    3.00 to 3.24: 1.89%
    Under 3.00: 0.55%

Average unweighted HS GPA for enrolled freshmen in 2016 was 3.78.

Middle 50% ACT of enrolled freshmen in 2016 was 26-32.

I am not aware that UW publishes stats of admitted students in addition to stats of enrolled students. However, bear in mind that as a function of yield, average stats of enrolled students are slightly lower than average stats of accepted students (e.g., UCLA admitted ACT: 29-34; enrolled ACT: 26-33).

I agree with @SecretMalamute that your rising GPA trend will help you (along with your great ACT and strong essays and ECs) in UW's holistic review of your application.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.