right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Rushing for Sororities at the UW

GreenwichParkGreenwichPark 43 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
My daughter is Rushing this week? Anyone else? She decided to Rush as the UW is starting to get very preprofesssional and serious. Our family is of the opinion that you can be academically successful and still have fun. There is an increasing tendency for students to seem very introverted and who don't make much effort to socialize. Have you been going to the football games?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rushing for Sororities at the UW

• GreenwichParkGreenwichPark 43 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I know that 770 girls are Rushing and there are 18 Sororities at the UW. Room and meals are cheaper at a Sorority than at the UW and the Chapter houses are perfectly placed 1-3 blocks from the main entrance to campus. Chapters also offer cash scholarships for members with high GPAs. The leadership and networking opportunities are also great. The current Sorority President of the entire female Greek system at the UW is of East Asian/Indian descent so all girls of all backgrounds are welcome.
    · Reply · Share
    There is also a Sorority for female engineers, for Asian students and for Jewish students. Any girl can Rush for any Sorority, some just have a different emphasis so that every girl can find a place for her. My daughter is hoping for a Sorority that is known for being diverse, chill and with girls who are very focused on service, leadership and academics.
    · Reply · Share
    Well it was Bid day this morning and my daughter found out she got into her first choice Sorority on Greek Row, so she's very happy. Her dad is helping her move into the house and then she is going to the football game with her Sisters. Tomorrow there is a breakfast for the parents at 9am. She chose a diverse sorority that is strong academically and with philanthropy. I'm sure she will be having fun too. Rush was an intense experience, but so far so good. Her best friend also got into her favorite Sorority two houses away so that worked out great. Surprised noone talks about Greek life on here, especially if you want to make friends at a big school such as UW.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38380 replies2103 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    You can make friends at a big school without pledging a sorority. I did fine at UT-Austin. :)
    · Reply · Share
    That's absolutely true, I didn't go Greek myself but I also think you can have lots of fun in Sororities and Fraternities. My daughter already has a group of friends going to the UW but she wanted to try being part of Greek life, why not? She's outgoing and likes to meet lots of new people.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38380 replies2103 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I just have mixed feelings about them. My freshman roommate pledged a sorority. My goodness, she had to do so much busy work! I didn't see the point. It was easy to meet people in my classes and clubs and I didn't have the time obligation to worry about.
    · Reply · Share