right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Chance me! (University of Washington Class of 2024)

AlessandroScottAlessandroScott 5 replies1 threads New Member

Ethnicity: Latino/White

IN STATE
Private Highschool 9th and 10th Grade, Full Time Running Start 11th and 12th Grade
Applied to UW for Pre-Health Sciences (College of Arts and Science)

GPA: 3.81 UW (4yr Overall) and 3.96 (Running Start/Com. College)

Course Load: Full Time Running Start student, 91 credits by the end of the year in various classes

College Courses:
English 101, Biology 175, Chem 121, Sociology 101, Psychology 101, etc. (All 5-credit courses)

SAT: 1290

AP classes: AP World History, Computer Science A, Statistics, English Language Arts, Calculus BC, Physics, European History (Did not report any scores)

Major Awards:
Presidents Scholar at Community College for Outstanding Academic Performance (District)
Speaker/Presenter at TEDxSeattle (Regional, maybe National even?)

Extracurriculars:
Cross Country (9th)
Theater (9th)
Listen to Your Art - Aided in various ways with a program supporting LGBTQ+ youth in the Kitsap Area (10th)
Jazz Band - First Chair Piano + Competed at State Level (11th)
Professional Musician throughout the Seattle area - music raises awareness to domestic and sexual violence (10th, 11th, 12th)

Job/Work Experience:
Starbucks (Almost 2yrs now, w/ leadership position training incoming baristas)

Major Volunteer/Community service:
Cancer Research Fund
Volunteering at Boys and Girls Club
Kitsap Arts Festival - Aided in Marketing and Logistics

Essays (topics, details):
Personal Essay: I spoke of my experience as a male victim of domestic/sexual violence + how music and commitment to academia helped in my healing experience.
Short Answer: Talked about my experience with being exposed to various South American cultures through my family, and how said experience shaped me into who I am today (how these cultures "gave me the strength to overcome boundaries," and whatnot)
Would rate my essays an 8-8.5/10

I Had a rough year following my rather morbid personal experience. I'm hoping UW recognizes that despite this, I pushed along and was able to perform well academically.

Good Luck to All who Applied this Year!
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me! (University of Washington Class of 2024)