right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UW Bothell vs WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) for Computer Science Master

serendipitylolserendipitylol 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited May 18 in University of Washington
Hi,
I'm currently getting both admissions from UW Bothell and WPI's M.S. CS program.

Does anyone know about any of this and give me some advice?
edited May 18
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UW Bothell vs WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) for Computer Science Master

• retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1259 replies3 threads Senior Member
    Warning! I am typing this without my glasses

I suspect both are very strong programs.

Go to https://www.wpi.edu/student-experience/career-development/outcomes and download the WPI placement/salary report for 2019 on page 20. They are given for BS, MS, and PhD graduates along with a list of employers. The average salaries are by degree groups. Both should be quit strong because both Universities are located in high CS concentration territories.

Are you currently employed?

Where do you want to work?
    · Reply · Share
  • AroundHereAroundHere 3601 replies22 threads Senior Member
    Agree - whether you want to work on the east coast or west coast after graduation is key.

Second - what sub-field do you want to get in depth training on, and look for courses in that specialty in each department.

UW Bothell is not UW Seattle in the popular imagination, but it is still a good program. However, Bothell is not a research campus. This would be a degree to further your career in industry, not academia. If you want your masters to be more research focused or to possibly move on to a PhD program, pick WPI.
    · Reply · Share