right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Mac or PC

washingtonian151washingtonian151 101 replies25 threads Junior Member
edited September 2006 in University of Washington
So i'm gonna be a freshmen at UW this year, and i'm doing the customary laptop shopping right now. For those of you who are attending already, is it better to have a mac or a pc at the UW?
edited September 2006
13 replies
Post edited by washingtonian151 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Mac or PC

• BandTenHutBandTenHut 1050 replies48 threads Senior Member
    What do you like?

If you don't know the difference, then you don't know computers, and you'd damned well better get a Mac, for your own sanity's sake.
    · Reply · Share
  • mark19mark19 462 replies74 threads Member
    · Reply · Share
    ^sorry about that.
    To be honest, I have found that mac is more widely used by **** or by people who want merely to edit videos/pictures and all that fun stuff. If you want to program or do more complex things, choose a pc.
    · Reply · Share
  • washingtonian151washingtonian151 101 replies25 threads Junior Member
    To BandTenHut; I do know the difference between a pc and mac, and i lean towards a mac. What I meant to ask was has anyone come across any significant problems using either one at UW. To mark; i don't need it for programming or gaming, i need it for the basic stuff.
    · Reply · Share
    Then you better off with a mac, at least you don't have to deal with all the viruses and worms that make the experience so stressful. Also, there is a new software that allows you to run windows on a mac. This way you can have both the functionality of the pc and the convinience/simplicity of the mac in one machine.
    · Reply · Share
  • UCLAriUCLAri 14507 replies231 threads Senior Member
    mark19,

I'm by no means a "****," and I use a Mac.
    · Reply · Share
  • MoominmamaMoominmama 807 replies20 threads Member
    If you are looking at either Apple or actual IBM (not any-ole-PC), check out the pricing at the University Bookstore's Technology Center. Great discount for enrolled students! http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/techshp.taf?dept=attribute&category=techhome&par=tech&ttl=teccenter Also, lots of good academic software at steep discount prices as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • drbottdrbott 268 replies4 threads Junior Member
    To mark19: It may be the case that Macs are widely used by people who only need to edit basic multimedia, but it's definitely arguable that a student in the sciences should choose a Mac over a PC. Mathematica (and Maple, I think) works on either operating system, and it runs much smoother on my Mac than on my PC (it's easier to stop the kernel on a mac). The LaTeX back-end is largely the same between Macs and PCs, though the Mac back-end (TeTeX) bundles LaTeX along with BibTex, plain TeX, and a few more nice bundles. The LaTeX front-end for Macs, TeXShop, is incredibly clean and much more intuitive than the various PC front-ends. These reasons might only affect a narrow sector of the population, but I definitely appreciate them. By the way, at an applied math conference I was just at, nearly every laptop I saw was a Mac....

One more thing --- there's no reason to choose one OS over the other just because you want to program. Any OS can run nearly every language, with the help of a text editor.
    · Reply · Share
    That may be so, but aren't PCs overall more powerful than macs when it comes to memory and performance? Also, there is a greater variety of sotwares out there for pc than there are for macs. One thing that I noticed is that macs are getting larger and less functional when it comes to physical aspects: latest macs have only 3 usb ports, no card reader, and no shortcut keys on the keyboard and you cannot find a mac out there with screen size less than 13in.

ANyways, drbott, can you mention a few layman advantages of owning a mac rather than a pc?
    · Reply · Share
    Macs and PCs have very similar performance in most things that concern the consumer. And variety of software doesn't necessarily mean a greater amount of quality software.

And you don't really need that many shortcut keys on Macs. The OS works beautifully without them.

Layman advantages to a Mac? Mac OS is a bit more intuitive in many ways, greater integration between the OS and the hardware, some great consumer-end software, arguable added stability, and lots of marginal value in the overall package.
    · Reply · Share
  • drbottdrbott 268 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Yes, I mostly agree with UCLAri. I think that the only differences that would be noticeable to a layman would be that the Mac OS is more intuitive, in some sense. Really, nearly everyone will be happy on either type of system.

I've had mixed feelings about which system is more stable. My old Windows laptop had no system crashes, though every so often the Mathematica kernel would stall, and I wouldn't be able to quit from it. On my new Mac laptop, there have been two or three system crashes, and Firefox has quit a few times.
    · Reply · Share
  • zpmqxonwzpmqxonw 966 replies86 threads Senior Member
    Also, software compatability isn't as much a problem anymore with Apple's release of "Boot Camp." If I remember correctly, it allows you to have a choice between running Windows XP or Mac OS X.

Personally though, I can't stand my Mac. It had a logic board failure the first week I got it ($500+ repair, luckily covered by warranty!), freezes and sometimes quits programs daily, and the battery died less than a year after I bought it. My HP Desktop running Windows XP is a whole lot more stable. I really can't see myself ever buying another Mac. I'm a Windows type of girl (Although Linux ain't too shabby either ;))!
    · Reply · Share
    the battery died less than a year after I bought it

C'mon, this isn't fair. All laptops are plagued by LiIon problems, and this isn't really an "Apple" issue.

It sounds to me like you were one of the outliers who had a bad Mac experience. That's too bad, really.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity