right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Am I on the right track? (OOS; not chance me)

TaggedWithColourTaggedWithColour 27 replies18 threads Junior Member
edited November 2009 in University of Washington
So right now I'm a Junior, OOS from Arizona.
Am I on the right track to getting into UW?

Cumulative HS GPA: 4.5036
(I don't know what my unweighted is)

Honors Classes:
Biology (9), Geometry (9), Geography (9), Chemistry (10), World History (10), and English (10).

AP Classes:
English (11), United States History (11)

School Activities:
Band (9, 11); Flutist
Teacher’s Aid (11); Latin
National Honors Society (11)
Interact Club (11)

Extra Curricular Activities:
Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 4 (10); PASSED
Tutoring (10, 11): On Tuesday’s I help struggling middle school students with Latin.
The Summit (11); Academic summer camp

Community Service:
(I do 8 hours every quarter)
Habitat for Humanity (9): organized and cleaned large sections of the Habitat for Humanity store
Hope Fest (9): Helped hand out food to the homeless.
Baking for Fathers Heart Church (9, 10): Baked refreshments for Fathers Heart Church Bible studies.
Walk for Autism (10): Helped Fathers Heart Church raise money for research for Autism.
Fathers Heart Care (10): On Friday nights I help watch kids with disabilities as a staff member.
Sewing Baby Quilts (10, 11): Sewed baby quilts for the Christ’s Pregnancy Center

Skills:
Speak, read, and write basic Japanese
Play flute
Art: Sketching and computer art

Academic Awards:
Lions List (9, 10, 11)
President’s Award (9, 10)
2nd Place General Science; Science Fair (10)
Sophomore Honors English Gold Award (10)
Latin I Gold Award (10)

What else should I be doing?
I go to a small, private religious school, so it doesnt have much.

I haven't taken the SAT yet (I do that for the first time next week). What type of scores should I be aiming for? Its only the first SAT, so im not too worried if I only do average.

Also, if I got into UW as an OOS student, upon my arrival could I change my residency and pay OOS tuition for the first year, and then instate for the remaining 3 years?
edited November 2009
1 replies
Post edited by TaggedWithColour on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Am I on the right track? (OOS; not chance me)

• compactrunnercompactrunner 195 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Definitely on the right track-- very rigorous courseload with good grades, lots of activities, some community service. Don't worry too much about SAT scores; just keep in mind that UW doesn't even look at the writing section, so compare your CR/M subscores to the UW average, and if you're above average you should be in good shape.

As for residency changes, it takes a lot to get in state tuition after a single year. Basically you have to prove to the state that you're not here solely for your education. The easiest way is to get a full time job, which is quite a daunting task while pursuing your education.

Also keep in mind that although UW is a great value right now, and will probably continue to be in the future, it has lost a LOT of state funding recently due to the economy, with some pretty stiff tuition hikes this year and next for sure, likely more to come. Still a great school for a relatively low cost, but it is definitely getting more expensive.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity