Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Reason in Communication, Philosophy 210

Playa2991Playa2991 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
edited December 2011 in University of Wisconsin
Has anyone taken Reason in Communication (Philosophy 210)? How is it? How hard is it? etc. Hoping I can take this to satisfy the Quantitative Reasoning A requirement. Does anyone know if this class is pretty popular and fills up quick? I have a july 22nd SOAR date so I am a little worried that it may fill up. I am TERRIBLE at math and haven't done it in a long time. Worried that I would do poorly on the placement test and have to take a non-credit remedial math class. I think I can take PHIL 210 to satisfy QR-A regardless on my test scores. Can anyone confirm this. The class actually seems pretty interesting as well and I am some what interested in Philosophy even though I will be a sophomore transfer Legal Studies major.

Thanks So Much!
Post edited by Playa2991 on

Replies to: Reason in Communication, Philosophy 210

• alexandra23alexandra23 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Hey, I took this class and would recommend it. There is a lot of memorization involved at times, but still it's definitely easier than math. I slacked off in this class a lot and came out with a B I think. And you're right that it is interesting, especially because it can apply a lot to real life.
  • Playa2991Playa2991 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Does it fill up pretty quick? Can you take it even you do poorly on the math placement test? I am thinking law school, so I think this class will be useful.

Thanks!
    Yep, you can take it no matter how you did on the math placement test. I didn't test out of Quantitative Reasoning A or B on my placement test (those are the math/quantitative reasoning requirements for Letters and Science) so I took Philosophy 210 to satisfy Quant A and 211 to satisfy Quant B. And I don't know how fast it fills up, sorry :-/ It is very useful for law school - that and 211.
    So you can for sure take the class regardless of math placement test scores?
    Yeah. Quant A is the lowest math requirement and it doesn't even require that one.
    What do you mean by "it doesn't require that one?" Was a bit unclear. So this class does fulfill Quan Reasoning A regardless of math placement test score right?
  • RoxSoxRoxSox Registered User Posts: 2,179 Senior Member
    Yes 10char
    What do you mean my 10char? I just want to confirm that PHIL 210 does cover Quan A requirement regardless of math placement score. Still a little unclear.

Appreciate It!
  • RoxSoxRoxSox Registered User Posts: 2,179 Senior Member
    10char is what you write when your response is shorter than 10 characters on CC, since shorter than that is not allowed.

I think it's been stated rather clearly several times. Good lord.
  • insomniac101insomniac101 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    hey guys, what do you learn in this course exactly? only logic? and how heavy is the workload?
    Any input will be appreciated.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,845 Senior Member
    By your most recent post you are already on campus. Talk to students you know or read what you can online. You should have done so before winter break.
This discussion has been closed.