Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

double major or double degree?

insomniac101insomniac101 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited May 2011 in University of Wisconsin
Hey all,

By reading other threads, some people is saying to declare a double degree would account more credits and courses than merely a double major, is this true in UW-Madison. And is it possible to complete a double degree in physics and philosophy (ie. B.A and B.S) within four years if i take more classes and some summer courses?
Post edited by insomniac101 on

Replies to: double major or double degree?

• barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,951 Senior Member
    A double degree requires an extra 30 credits.(150+) A double major can usually be done within the standard 120-128 credits or a few more.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,835 Senior Member
    I'm not sure why you would want/need a double degree- it seems as though the double major would be fine for your future plans.
  • insomniac101insomniac101 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Since the philosophy department does not offer a minor in undergraduate, would that be worthy to take some philosophy courses as electives and do one major in physics w/in 3 yrs and go on to graduate? One problem is can philosophy courses be taken as electives, because this is the case in my country(ie. 1 major+electives), I am wondering is this also true in UW-Madison.
    Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, philosophy can be taken as electives and also some satisfy certain course requirements.
  • kxc1961kxc1961 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    What would a double degree be used for when it comes to the time for looking for a job? Would it give you an edge? Just curious.
    I would prefer a dual degree in econ and accting over somebody with an econ degree and a certificate (minor) in accting. But outside business and engineering where the full degree means more I don't see much advantage in say a BA in poli sci and another in psychology rather than just a second major in psychology--or no second anything. Might also apply to education majors where you need a full degree in it to qualify for most teaching jobs.
  • bschoolswagbschoolswag Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    what's the difference between a double major and double degree?
    30 credits. More or less.
  • jnm123jnm123 Registered User Posts: 743 Member
    As I've said before, in some instances the student is better off in the end attaining a double degree, despite the extra 30 hours. My D is in that situation within CALS--her two advisors agreed that this was the best course of action. D is OK with it, it'll take this summer, next summer & MAYBE (hope not) a 9th semester, mostly depending on whether she'll have to drop any class along the way. But she'll have two B.S's when all is said & done, and I gotta think because of this she'll have a leg up in the job market.
  • insomniac101insomniac101 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    what if u decide to do a double major, do u have to immediately decide which major will lead to your degree or this happen after you have done all your courses (ie. b/4 graduation)??
    You can do it anytime. As some planning would help chart the best course earlier is better but I don't think there is cutoff date. Try using the UW site. It's all there and it's good practice to learn how to take care of yourself now.
This discussion has been closed.