Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Update on the waitlist

Replies to: Update on the waitlist

• MNBADGER2011MNBADGER2011 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I called UW today and they told me that they would be taking "a select few" off of the waitlist? Bad sign if I haven't gotten a call yet? How many people do you guys think are on the waitlist this year?
  • nocrackupnocrackup Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    Did you guys get any emails after you were placed on the waitlist? I never was contacted for UW after I got my admission decision, ever. I did accept a place on the WL though.
  • judyjimjudyjim Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    No e-mails or any contact from UW until admission's counselor called to offer him a position from the waitlist.
  • laurens27laurens27 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    would you mind posting your sons stats?
    He had a 3.89 GPA, 29 ACT, several APs and honors courses, consistently good grades all 4 years-(mostly A's-few B's), junior year- Calc 1 at local college through PSEO, Spring semester studying in Israel junior year through AMHSI Program, National Honor Society, Pathfinders-at school, lots of community volunteer hours, staff in training at a 9 week overnight camp and following summer as a junior camp counselor and part time song leader, Football only in 9th grade and Tennis team senior year, Explorers in Medicine program. Nominated 3 years in a row by 3 different teachers to go to national Leadership Conference in Washington DC-did not go due to camp. Those are the highlights-hope that helps. Just a even well rounded kid. Best of luck to you.
    I'm going to just come out and say this now because I'm done with this feed. I find it completely pathetic how many overly obsessed helicopter parents are on this blog. You people are sick in the head. If your kid wants to blog about their college experience or where they want to go to college, let them. Why do you feel the need to spend countless hours blogging? I guess at the end of the day it's your choice but it seems pathetic to a lot of people.
  • Humbaba1Humbaba1 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Hope you feel better MNBadger. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion....
    Sounds like some displaced anger going on with MNBADGER2011.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,947 Senior Member
    Waitlist has closed. Probably not too many slots left this year.

News: Waitlist Closed - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
    @ JudyJim: not anger, just the truth. Give your kid some space and quit blogging about your kid getting into college. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm really not, but if I found out that either of my parents spent that much time (let alone any time) blogging about my college chances or decisions I would think they were pathetic. Regardless, congrats to everyone who got in! To those who didn't, remember, its just Madison, sure its a very good school but its nothing extraordinary. Thank you to all for you help and kind words over the past months and good luck! As for me, I couldn't be happier with how everthing has played out. I will be attending the University of California Berkeley this fall!!!!! I'd much rather in CALI than Wisconsin, and I'd much rather be a BEAR than a Badger! :) :) :) :)
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,831 Senior Member
    Parents provide some useful information and a different perspective for students.

Each college has its pros and cons, as MNB... will discover. Sour grapes are not needed. Enjoy your school everyone.
    It's not sour grapes people. You just don't want to be told to grow up and quit caring so much about where we kids go to school. It's weird. Kids are ready for their parents to respectfully give them space and let them grow and become independent. Trust me, I'm one of them, I know.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,947 Senior Member
    As long as most parents are footing the bill that can reach $200,000 over 4 years they will care. Also most HS students have very little knowledge of colleges other than a little hearsay and looking through some guides. Meanwhile many parents have actually BEEN to college--often those in question. So who knows more? You may think you are ready but at 17-18--you are not really ready for much. You just think you are. We have been there too. Many of the questions here show how LITTLE most kids know about colleges. Even simple stuff.
    MNBADGER2011-I am not a helicopter mother and my son is super independent! He did all his applications,essays etc. without any of my help. As a caring parent I want the best for him and I want information on the college process and tips on what to expect regarding waitlist, deposits and much much more. Many students and parents have given me great advice and support during some disappointments. Some useful information I have passed on to my son and some has been most helpful in helping me navigate this process since I will be paying the tuition etc. College is a BIG deal and a big financial commitment not just for the student. Psychologically it is very helpful to be informed and to understand the process of certain things so if a student needs support the parents at least have an understanding of how things work regarding admissions to college etc.
  • popeyoung5popeyoung5 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    Barrons wrote-

As long as most parents are footing the bill that can reach $200,000 over 4 years they will care. Also most HS students have very little knowledge of colleges.

Well said!!!!
This discussion has been closed.